This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Needs Some Ideas

jennyj

jennyj Collaborator

I am tired of having to drive over an hour just to go to the store to buy foods that I can eat so I am toying with an idea. We own a vacant building on main street across from our current store. So I am thinking about opening a store to sell foods I can eat as well as the half a dozen or so people in our town. We live in a tiny town and I know there are others with special dietary needs other than just celiac. My question is how do I get it started? I know how to run a business and start one but our current business is not a food store. Also, I would like to come up with a unique name, I thought about Unique Foods, but I don't know. I am going to be away from my computer until tonight but I would welcome any suggestions, comments, even if they are negative. Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Smunkeemom Enthusiast

"The healthy food store"

you should call companies that you like and ask them what their program is for wholesale purchases, other than that I don't know. :)

CarlaB Enthusiast

Specialty Foods

I would visit other stores that have done this successfully and talk to the owners. You would want to do this far from home so that they will talk openly since you're not going to be a competitor. There is a store in Bloomington, IN that I recommend, Sahara Mart. They seem to really do it right on all levels.

You might include local produce, eggs, and even meat so that everyone feels like they are supporting their neighbors when they shop.

If you carry the stuff we all like, plus serve diabetics, and other people with special food needs, but sell to a broader target market -- people wanting to eat healthy -- I think you'll be more successful than if you have too narrow a target market.

kb8ogn Rookie

There is a store near me called Stress Less Gourmet.

They cater to all special needs diets. They carry fresh bakery, vitamins, make-up products, etc....

They also have a website if you wanted to check it out and possibly contact them for some ideas.

Shelli

StrongerToday Enthusiast

If you were near me, I'd hope for cooking lessons and/or tastings. I have trouble deciding what product to try next as it's such a gamble some times. gluten-free can be expensive, it would be great to try a sample before investing in a box of cookies.

VydorScope Proficient

As mention above, your best be is to visit stores simular to waht you want to open and see what they did and how they did it. Learn from their expernces, and build from there. No need to start from scratch here.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Well, since you will be catering to people with other food intolerances:

The "I'm on a Special Diet" Health Food Store

or

"The Search Stops Here" Specialty Health Food Store

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eKatherine Rookie

Do yourself up a business plan before you sink any money into it.

nettiebeads Apprentice

Ours is "Food for Health" and carry quite a selection of foods, supplements and books. They also have a room where a Reiki master does her thing. It's a relatively big store for our little town. I remember when it started decades ago in a little hole in the wall place off of downtown's main drag. What ever you do, get lots of feedback from your clientel. I'm sure you'll have success with it.

Annette

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast
.... We own a vacant building on main street across from our current store. So I am thinking about opening a store to sell foods I can eat as well as the half a dozen or so people in our town. We live in a tiny town and I know there are others with special dietary needs other than just celiac. My question is how do I get it started?....

I love the idea!

eKatherine -- Is right make a good solid plan first...

Where are you located? Are you going to do a web site too? Like some one suggested you can cater to more people that way.

If your name begins with the letter "A" it will apprear in all your yellow page or other listings first. Follow me?

Archived