Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

There have been questions on other posts about charcoal. Someone mentioned some types were not gluten-free. I never thought of this! Which ones are okay?

Natural charcoal is always OK. Briquettes almost without exception have wheat starch (and a bunch of other stuff). "Real" charcoal is better.

richard

Thank you. That explains my upset stomach yesterday!! Fortunately, it was very minor, just a little upset in the morning and a little tired all day.

And speaking of charcoal. I've found that I have gluten reactions to water that has been filtered through "charcoal filters"!!!! I use only spring water or I purify my own with ceramic filters. Anyone else ever have problems?

I wonder what activated charcoal is made from? It's probably some kind of wood, I'd guess. I take it occasionally when I may have gotten some nightshade (peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, potatoes) in my food that I ordered, etc, and didn't realize before I ate some.

I highly recommend mesquite real wood charcoal for the BBQ - not only is it gluten free, but the food tastes AWESOME!

Stephanie

We too, alway use the real stuff...burnt wood chips. You can't have a better steak, smoked salmon on a cedar board, or pork loin on the grill. Life dosen't get any better that this. :D Lisa