Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

celiac_in_WV

Question From A New Celiac

My husband was recently (last week) diagnosed with celiac. His only sympton was anemia which he had been taking an iron supplement (Chromagen) for. He never had any other health problems other than some bloating when he drank beer. The doctor did the coloscopy, the endoscopy, the small intestine biopsy, and the bloodwork to confirm the diagnosis. We haven't met with the doctor or the dietician yet but decided that it would be a good idea to start eliminating gluten from his diet. Well, for the past few days he has started taking the Chromagen again and has totally eliminated gluten from his diet (even though it never made him feel bad in the first place). Every time he eats (totally gluten free) he gets severe abdominal pain and cramping. He never had this problem before the diagnosis. Could the biopsy (done about a week ago) have done something to him internally? Does it take this long for the intestines to heal? I mean, he NEVER had any abdominal problems until after the diagnosis. Could the removal of the gluten from his diet and the subsequent healing of his intestine cause pain for him? He is really miserable now. He felt better when he thought he just had anemia.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

it could be a combination of events - my kids had stomach ache off and on for about a week after biopsy. They also experienced discomfort as we went gluten-free - I figured it was adjustng to the new diet more than anything...kinds like when you travel or eat somewher different - its not the food so much as the change in the type of food you normally eat

Hope he feels better soon

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

I'd call the doctor right away. :(

That does not sound like the normal post endo stomach-achiness. Maybe he's just taking longer to recover than most. Maybe his subconcious really doesn't want to have to deal with celiac disease ;) !

In any case I'd call the doctor's office and see what they think the problem is.

I didn't have any pain in my gut after my biopsy, but someone else might be more sensitive. If a lot of samples were taken, that would make it hurt more, maybe. It could also be that he is eating different food, and his gut needs time to adjust to it. I do hope he starts feeling better soon!

Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

My only main symptom was also anemia -- iron pills did nothing for me though -- and after my biopsy I felt fine.. Although, I had a very sore throat for a week!

I've been off the gluten completely for a week now, but have not had any abdominal pain. I agree with the previous poster - he should call the DR. It could also be an adjustment to a differerent diet.

Hope it works out - good luck!

Positive Bloodwork & Positive Endoscopy, Gluten Free since 8/29/06

Did you call to verify that the Chromagen is gluten-free?

My name is forgettable, so I invite you to remember this tale." (RG)

Diagnosed with celiac disease, by biopsy, 10/05

T1 diabetic since 2/80