Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest ~jules~

Taco Meat....

Guest ~jules~

My family loves tacos, we eat them all the time. My favorite seasoning has wheat flour in it, and I can't find one that isn't bland. I'm up for making my own or suggestions of a good one at the store. Thanks Julie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Our favorite seasoning is Ortega. I haven't made tacos since Lorelai's switch to gluten free (plus she can't eat that sort of thing yet anyway), but I believe it is gluten free.

Mom to 3 girls

DD1-diagnosed by allergist 10/2006

DD4 & DD9-diagnosed by Mom 01/2007

Guest ~jules~
Our favorite seasoning is Ortega. I haven't made tacos since Lorelai's switch to gluten free (plus she can't eat that sort of thing yet anyway), but I believe it is gluten free.

Thanks for the suggestion, I haven't tried that one yet. My favorite was taco bell brand, I've tried a few others but they are all so bland ya know.....

Try adding Chilli powder, garlic powder, pepper, cayeene pepper, salsa and/or water.

Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004

Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003

Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

McCormick is gluten free but has whey or something like that in I think.

Fiddle Faddle has a wonderful taco seasoning recipe.

If you want to make your own, let me know and I'll post fiddle-faddle's recipe. :)

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

Guest ~jules~
McCormick is gluten free but has whey or something like that in I think.

Fiddle Faddle has a wonderful taco seasoning recipe.

If you want to make your own, let me know and I'll post fiddle-faddle's recipe. :)

I'm open to try making my own, could I have the recipe?

I copied her post from when she posted for me.

Thank you again fiddle-faddle if you see this thread. :P

Taco Seasoning

1 T chili powder

2 t onion powder (or just grate some fresh onion)

1 t cumin

1 t garlic powder

1 t paprika (I use Hungarian sweet)

1 t dried oregano

1 t or T sugar

1/2 t salt

1 T cornmeal

1t cornstarch

Use like the packets--mix with the browned meat, add 3/4 H2O and let bubble to whatever consistency you like. My kids like it sweet, so I also add a squirt of molasses.

Andrea

Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

El Paso taco seasoning is gluten-free - at least in Canada it is.

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

Guest ~jules~

Thanks for the recipe and ideas everyone, I am really particular about my tacos... :D

I just use cumin, onion powder, chili powder, and garlic salt. Works for me, and tastes as good or better than the packets :)

Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy

We'll all float on, alright

Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

Here's our fav taco recipe

1# ground round or ground chuck

1 med.onion chopped fine

2 cloves garlic chopped fine

3 tsp good chili powder

1 tsp salt

1/4 tsp. oregano

1/4 tsp cumin

2 tsp. dried bell pepper flakes

dash of tabasco sauce, dash cayenne pepper, dash of worchestire sauce

1 (16oz.) can of pureed or crushed tomatoes

brown onions, garlic, & ground meat until meat is browned and veggies are transparent. Add seasonings, crushed tomatoes. Simmer for 45 minutes uncovered.

put in warmed taco shells & assemble with lettuce,tomatoes,cheese,& sour cream, black olives or anything you like for toppings.

enjoy

mamaw

Guest ~jules~
Here's our fav taco recipe

1# ground round or ground chuck

1 med.onion chopped fine

2 cloves garlic chopped fine

3 tsp good chili powder

1 tsp salt

1/4 tsp. oregano

1/4 tsp cumin

2 tsp. dried bell pepper flakes

dash of tabasco sauce, dash cayenne pepper, dash of worchestire sauce

1 (16oz.) can of pureed or crushed tomatoes

brown onions, garlic, & ground meat until meat is browned and veggies are transparent. Add seasonings, crushed tomatoes. Simmer for 45 minutes uncovered.

put in warmed taco shells & assemble with lettuce,tomatoes,cheese,& sour cream, black olives or anything you like for toppings.

enjoy

mamaw

do they make cumin powder, all I have is cumin seed?

Yes, they make cumin powder. We love it!

If you have a coffee mill you can grind the seed yourself.

Andrea