Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MallysMama

Made Yummy Cookies Today!

I figured I'd post this way easy cookie recipe for everyone. It's just a regular homemade choco chip cookie recipe - just use rice flour and a little bit of xanthan gum. They look the same...and I'm sure they taste the same too! (I made my kind and the "regular" kind today for my hubby - - so he doesn't eat all of mine!)

Chocolate Chip Cookies

3 eggs

3 tsp vanilla

1 1/2 c. sugar

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

3/4 c. brown sugar

1 tsp salt

1 c. shortening (crisco works best)

3 c. flour (for gluten-free use regular rice flour...and level the cups)

(xanthan gum - not too much)

1 pkg chocolate chips

Combine eggs, vanilla, sugar, soda and salt - mix well. Add brown sugar and shortening - mix. Then add flour (and xanthan gum) - mix. Finally, add chocolate chips and mix. Set oven to 350 and bake for about 10 minutes (give or take depending on your elevation and whether or not you like crunchy or chewy cookies). ENJOY!!

Diagnosed by biopsy with Celiac at age 1 in 1984.

No other health problems.

Hubby - no health problems.

Mallory (2 year old daughter) - no known health problems at this time.

Hannah (born 04/02/07) - no problems yet!

Family - no one diagnosed with Celiac - ever - to our knowledge. (Lucky me!)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Thanks for the recipe! I'm not good at guessing on amounts when it comes to cooking and baking. Can you tell me in teaspoons about how much xanthum gum to use?

Thanks,

Sarah

Don't be afraid to reach for the moon. The worst that can happen is you'll miss and land among the stars.

Positive blood work

2 negative biopsies over 4 year period

Postive EnteroLab results

Lactose/Casein Intolerant

Gluten free since May 2006

Soy free since May 2007

Thanks for the recipe! I'm not good at guessing on amounts when it comes to cooking and baking. Can you tell me in teaspoons about how much xanthum gum to use?

Thanks,

Sarah

I dont' remember the exact amount... I think it's something like for every 1 cup of flour you use 3/4 tsp of xanthan gum. Since cookies don't need to do a lot of rising or growing - I've heard you don't need to use very much. I don't use any for things like pancakes. When I made these cookies, I didn't even measure the xanthan gum (I'm sure it was less than the equation above)....and they turned out fine. Let me know if you make the cookies, so I can know if anyone else thinks they're as wonderful as I do! :)

Diagnosed by biopsy with Celiac at age 1 in 1984.

No other health problems.

Hubby - no health problems.

Mallory (2 year old daughter) - no known health problems at this time.

Hannah (born 04/02/07) - no problems yet!

Family - no one diagnosed with Celiac - ever - to our knowledge. (Lucky me!)