Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ebrbetty

Vinegar Question

hi guys, I understand that as long as the vinegar is distilled its safe right? well, I used red wine vinegar for a sweet and sour chicken I made, it was yummy but I was very sick for a couple days after that..the bottle does not say distilled, just "red wine vinegar" was it safe?? I thought if it was flavored it did not need to say distilled?? sorry if this has been asked a million times before :unsure:

seems every time I have vinegar even balsamic I get stomach pains again :(

~Betty

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I've been using apple cider vinegar and it is a bit of an adjustment, I really liked balsamic vinegar but can't eat it either. I know they say that distillation changes it but I still react to it and I react to grain alcohol too. I've read that apple cider vinegar is gluten free and my experience says it is. I hope this helps, there are times when vinegar is essential. :)

A family with Celiac disease, two brothers and two sisters.

Lyme Disease, Diagnosis October 19, 2006

May 2006 - December 2008 Gluten and Dairy Free

December 2008, while seeing improvement on the gluten free diet, I did not recover and so in December of 2008 began the SCD and now have hope for recovery.

hi guys, I understand that as long as the vinegar is distilled its safe right? well, I used red wine vinegar for a sweet and sour chicken I made, it was yummy but I was very sick for a couple days after that..the bottle does not say distilled, just "red wine vinegar" was it safe?? I thought if it was flavored it did not need to say distilled?? sorry if this has been asked a million times before :unsure:

seems every time I have vinegar even balsamic I get stomach pains again :(

If it is just red wine vinegar it should be gluten free as the only thing it should dervived from would be grapes. I do not tolerate grain vinagers of any kind except corn so I always call and ask what the vinegar was derived from. Have you considered that you may just not be able tolerate any vinegar for some reason? Something you may want to consider doing is eliminating it in any form for a couple of weeks and then do a challenge with each individual type that you want to use after calling the manufacturor of each of them to make sure they are gluten-free.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

I wonder if it isn't a little like the "100%" olive oil that has other oils in it that are not listed. I don't know about the flavoured vinegars. I also wanted to mention that I always use the apple cider vinegar that is certified organic and has "the mother" with it, I wouldn't trust other brands.

A family with Celiac disease, two brothers and two sisters.

Lyme Disease, Diagnosis October 19, 2006

May 2006 - December 2008 Gluten and Dairy Free

December 2008, while seeing improvement on the gluten free diet, I did not recover and so in December of 2008 began the SCD and now have hope for recovery.

hi guys, I understand that as long as the vinegar is distilled its safe right?

What brand? Regina and GV(WalMart) will state gluten-free on the label.

Could it be something else glutened you? Or food poisoning, was the chicken cooked throughly? Did you use a soy sauce? What thickener did you use? Or a commercial brand sweet n' sour? Can I think of any more annoying questions to ask? :lol::rolleyes:

What brand? Regina and GV(WalMart) will state gluten-free on the label.

Could it be something else glutened you? Or food poisoning, was the chicken cooked throughly? Did you use a soy sauce? What thickener did you use? Or a commercial brand sweet n' sour? Can I think of any more annoying questions to ask? :lol::rolleyes:

It could have been something else..who knows right, we're always trying to figure stuff out :huh:

I went out and bought a gourmet bottle of red wine vinegar that clearly says Gluten Free, better taste good for the price!!

thanks for all the help!

~Betty