Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Kathy Ann

Mayonnaise

Guest Kathy Ann

Anyone EVER found a recipe for gluten free mayonnaise that doesn't use eggs, soy, almonds, corn or dairy and actually TASTES like real mayonnaise? Is it just impossible? Tried the cashew one and it's so-so. Nice taste, but nothing like mayo. <_<

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

i know some people can have soy in small amounts (like lethicin or protein, as opposed to 'soy beans')... can you?

Gluten-free, Vegan

Guest Kathy Ann

I'm a new celiac and not well yet. I just really miss mayonnaise to use in Tuna and on sandwiches. It would be so nice to be able to concoct one.

i emailed my sister (who is a chef), and looked throuhg some things i have written down and have some ideas (but i cannot vouch for them... please let me konw though, if you do try them and they work)

first recipe:

1 tbsp ground flax

3 tbsp water

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. sugar

1 tsp. ground mustard

1/4 tsp. cayenne

1 1/4 c. oil

3-4 tbsp. lemon juice

combine flax + water, heat (in microwave), then cool. Combine all ingredients (except lemon juice and oiL)in a food processor/blender, slowly adding the oil, stopping to add lemon juice, then rest of oil

recipe 2:

3 tbsp. lemon juice

1 c. soy milk [i would think maybe you could use any milk at all... why don't you make another legume milk, or a nut milk? something thicker, perhaps... coconut milk, even?]

1/4 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. paprika

1/4 tsp. mustard

6 tbsp. oil

same directions pretty much... all ingredients sans oil, then add in slowly

i hope that helps!

Gluten-free, Vegan

Guest Kathy Ann

Hey! Thanks a lot. A real chef. I'll try them! I wonder if I could go ahead and use apple cider vinegar instead of the lemon juice to get a more serious mayo taste?

I also have gluten, dairy, soy and egg allergies (as well as cane sugar). So I really appreciated those mayonnaise recipes using simple ingredients which I already have in my pantry. THANKS A BUNCH!!

BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

I have been making my own mayo, on and off for years. I add 2 eggs (room temp), 2 TB lemon juice, 1/4 tsp sea salt. Beat all three for one minute at high speed. Then very slowly add the 1 1/4 cup of canola oil. Beat until you reach the desired consistency. Store in a covered glass dish for a week or so - in the frig.

I don't know what can be substituted for the eggs.

"Throw yourself a pity-party and you'll be the only guest." - Earlene Fowler

Diag. Celiac Disease by positive blood test 2/03/2004

Allergies - corn, soy, casein, egg whites and wheat

Morphia Scleroderma

Osteoarthritis

Hypothyroid and Hperthyroid

Essential Tremors

Asthma

Migraines

Fibromyalgia - diag. in 1978 when they called it Fibrositis

PAD Peripheral Artery Disease

Angina and Atrial Fibrillation

Gluten Ataxia

Vitiligo

Scoliosis of the spine (caused by malabsorption and it is horribly painful) This would be enough reason for someone to go gluten free.

Ocular Myastenia Gravis

hope that helps! i don't see why not about the vinegar - esp. apple cider. have fun!

Gluten-free, Vegan

Anyone EVER found a recipe for gluten free mayonnaise that doesn't use eggs, soy, almonds, corn or dairy and actually TASTES like real mayonnaise? Is it just impossible? Tried the cashew one and it's so-so. Nice taste, but nothing like mayo. <_<

What you are looking for is to recreate the texture of mayonnaise using some sort of liquid and starch, and adjusting the taste with vinegar, etc. Unfortunately, the flavor of true mayonnaise comes from egg and oil.

Nothing