This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Deliberate Food Risk Taking

Kaycee

Kaycee Collaborator

I was a bit silly last night, and pushed the boundaries with food way too far. I knew when I ordered the chips, that there was a chance of a reaction, but I was prepared to take that risk.

What I want to know is how far do you push the boundaries with food, and what is your weakness?

Mine last night was chips from the fish and chip shop and a steak fried rice, minus the soy sauce. Chips are my weakness, always have been. But I think I will have to reiveiw that situation, and redraw my food boundaries

I know I will never eat something that is labelled as having been prepared on the same machinery as gluten containing products, and I will never eat anything labelled as containing low amounts of gluten. I will not risk any lollies and chocolate unless I know for sure they are fine. So why would I purposely eat chips which are more than likely cooked in the same fryer as battered food? Is it just the craving for the product, which I think it probably is. On average I might have chips once a month, and have never reacted like I did last night, so I think my hot chip eating days from the takeaways days are all but over. It could've been the rice dish, having been cooked on a uncleaned pan. Usually I order my rice dish, minus chips early in the day, and that has worked before, as I tend to think, the dish will be clean. Well it better had be. I am not used to demanding clean pans etc etc. I think this is just a reflection of my meek nature. I wish I was a tiger!

I will still cook oven fries, but it is just the convenience of someone else cooking my meal that I will miss. I think I am mourning the fact that I can't even enjoy a nice takeaway.

Catherine

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mtndog Collaborator

It's so hard. What is considered risk-taking for those of us with intolerances is such a joke compared to others. I guess mine would be eating something that someone else has prepared (except for two or three people who REALLY know the diet and CC issues in my life) in a social situation because I feel "bad".

The other is allowing myself to get SO hungry that I'm willing to do this. :angry:

ravenwoodglass Mentor

The biggest risk I take is eating Gortons Shrimp Temptations, the scampi and the lemon pepper. I have called the company and it is processed in a wheat facility even though it is gluten-free, so far so good. I know I will be sorry one day but they are sooooo good. I've learned the hard way not to trust anything I don't cook myself so I guess I am not to adventurous.

Mango04 Enthusiast

Chips (I mean french fries!!! hehe) are my weakness as well. A few weeks ago I was out having drinks with friends and they just kept begging me to have some of their fries. So I did, and then I was really mad at myself even though I didn't get sick. Alcohol and fries must be like the world's most unhealthy combo, despite any gluten risks haha

I also recently ate some raw cashews that said they may contain traces of dairy and gluten. That was NOT a good idea. I was hiking in the mountains watching everyone else eat heaps of food and I didn't see that dang warning on the package until I got there. hehe okay I really need to be more careful....

Jestgar Rising Star

I often eat stuff processed in a wheat facility or that may have been fried in a communal fryer. I just never eat very much and never twice in the same day. I do skip food that I know was fried in a communal fryer.

eleep Enthusiast

I'd have to agree about having other people cook for me being my biggest risk right now. Although, eating dairy right now is kind of a risk for me -- I've been reacting less and less to lactose when I do eat it, so I've been more likely to risk a tiny bit of hard cheese here and there over the past few weeks -- the last time, however, I paid for it with a night of sleeplessness.

Yipes -- Mango -- did you have a reaction in the woods? Having a reaction while I'm backpacking is one of my worst nightmare scenarios. Although, ironically, I think that the sustained exercise of backpacking kept my reaction symptoms in the past down to a minimum -- even though I might have eaten whole wheat pita for lunch, I'd really mostly just feel a little worn down later in the afternoon.

eleep

Archived