This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Meat Loaf!

Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I refuse to monkey around with gluten-free breadcrumbs--I'm stubborn!

1 1/2 Cups crushed Doritos Cool Ranch (use regular corn chips if you're avoiding dairy)(or 1 1/2 cups cooked rice)

3/4 Cup ketchup

1 envelope Lipton dry onion soup mix (generic has gluten, be careful!)

1/2 Cup hot water

2 eggs

1/2 teaspoon soy sauce

1/2 teaspoon fish sauce (original called for 1 teaspoon Worcestershire)

2 pounds ground meat, whatever combo you like

4 strips of bacon

1 cup tomato sauce

Preheat oven to 350.

Mix first 4 ingredients.

Add eggs, soy sauce, and fish sauce and mix.

Add meat and mix.

Form into a 9 x 5 loaf.

Top with bacon.

Pour tomato sauce, covering sides.

Bake 1 to 1 1/4 hours, or until internal temp is 165.

Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.

YUM YUM YUM!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

that is a different receipe. but it sounds great. I am going to try it! Thanks

Lymetoo Contributor

So Worcestershire is not OK? All brands??

Which soy sauce?? I LOVE meatloaf!

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Fiddle-Faddle - I just made meatloaf, but I have a pretty unusual recipe, and I did make my own gluten-free bread crumbs, in the blender.....turned out okay, but good idea on the Doritos - may try this. I did use worcestershire, and no problems. Also - sautee onion, grated zucchini and grated carrot in a pan and add that to the meat/etc., so no onion soup mix. Handfuls of fresh herbs.....yum. I HATED meatloaf growing up, called it dog food night (my mom loved this :lol: ) and can eat it by usign a drastically different recipe!

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

The worcestershire sauce in our cabinet is Heinz brand, and it contains wheat--haven't yet checked any others at the supermarket, though. I just tried to approximate the taste and components of worcestershire sauce by mixing soy sauce ( La Choy) and fish sauce (which contains anchovies, which is also in worcestershire sauce).

Susan--I LOVE the fresh onions, carrots and herbs idea--yummy. Wish I had more time to cook (hence the Doritos instead of the gluten-free bread crumbs)

Drama-Queen Rookie

Here's another meatloaf idea:

For those of you that know Bette Hagman's Gluten Free Gourmet Cookbooks- here's my updated recipe that is just melt in your mouth good.

Take the Favorite Meatloaf recipe

Substitute Annie's Smokey Maple BBQ sauce for the Ketchup

Reduce or eliminate seasonings because the BBQ sauce has alot of flavor.

Use crushed up rice cereal instead of bread crumbs, It gives the meatloaf more substance.

Before putting in the oven, top with more BBQ sauce to make the meatloaf tender.

My Boyfriend says this meatloaf creation is better than his mom's (Don't tell mom, of course...), and she's an Irish Catholic mom that cooks lots of good meat and potatoes!

hannahsue01 Enthusiast

Mmmmm.......our family has never ever used bread crumbs or anything even closly related in our meat loaf. My dad always hated that all that the bread does is soak up all the grease that you shouldn't be eating anyways. Lol guess I won't have to change our recipe......yeah! If anyones interested in the recipe let me know.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Yes Hannah...post the recipe! Am always interested in knowing variations....Katrina, that one sounds good too...now that meatloaf doesn't make me GAG!

Fiddle-Faddle - - I love my meatloaf as it is about half veggies, and really healthy. I use about 2 tablespoons each of dill, thyme, and basil (or whatever herbs are on hand) and so it's really flavorful. I think the fish sauce is a good idea - I used Lea and Perrins and - isn't that gluten-free? :blink: thought I checked their website or called them....can't remember any more....but I was okay with it.

hannahsue01 Enthusiast
Yes Hannah...post the recipe! Am always interested in knowing variations....Katrina, that one sounds good too...now that meatloaf doesn't make me GAG!

Fiddle-Faddle - - I love my meatloaf as it is about half veggies, and really healthy. I use about 2 tablespoons each of dill, thyme, and basil (or whatever herbs are on hand) and so it's really flavorful. I think the fish sauce is a good idea - I used Lea and Perrins and - isn't that gluten-free? :blink: thought I checked their website or called them....can't remember any more....but I was okay with it.

4lbs Hamburger

1 Suasage Roll (we prefer Jimmy Dean but donno if it's gluten free)

1/2 Onion Minced

1 Can Tomato Soup (have to find a gluten free one)

3T Salt

2 Eggs (could skip if you can't have.....just helps hold it together I think)

My dad adds green peppers

I add garlic and other seasonings and somtimes worshtershire

This recipe is for a 9x13 but I cut it in half

Mix....put in pan.....cover.....Bake at 350 for and hour.....Drain.....cook uncovered for 15-20 minutes.

TriticusToxicum Explorer
So Worcestershire is not OK? All brands??

Which soy sauce?? I LOVE meatloaf!

Lea & Perrins is OK

San-J Tamari Soy soy is OK too

VydorScope Proficient

My wife makes a great one thats 100% grain free...

"Italian Meatloaf"

1 pound Ground Beef

1 pound Ground Chicken

3 cups Spaghetti Sauce

2 cups Italian-style Shredded Cheese

1 tbs. Italian Seasoning

Reserve 2 cups of spaghetti sauce and 1 cup of Italian-style shredded cheese for later.

In large bowl mix rest of the ingredients. Form into two loaf shapes and bake at 350 degrees for 45 mins. Cover each loaf with 1 cup of sauce and 1/2 cup of shredded cheese and put back in the oven for 15 more minutes.

Yummy! Even my toddler likes it :)

TriticusToxicum Explorer
I refuse to monkey around with gluten-free breadcrumbs--I'm stubborn!

1 1/2 Cups crushed Doritos Cool Ranch (use regular corn chips if you're avoiding dairy)(or 1 1/2 cups cooked rice)...

YUM YUM YUM!!!

I think I'll try this! If I can stop eating the Doritos long enough! :P

wolfie Enthusiast

Here is my recipe....I used Potato Buds instead of bread crumbs!! DS loved this!

Yummy Meatloaf

2 lbs ground beef

1/4 cup Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce

1/4 cup Potato Buds (mashed potato flakes)

1 large egg, beaten

salt

pepper

bacon

mix first 6 ingredients together in a bowl and then form into a loaf and place in a shallow pyrex dish. Spread more BBQ sauce on top and then top with bacon, tucking ends underneath. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. After 45 minutes, brush on more sauce and cover with foil. Meatloaf is done when internal temp is 160. It took me about 1 hour and 10 minutes total.

PS ~ If you need to add more sauce or potato buds to make it work, I am sure it will be fine. But that is what worked for me.

Archived