This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ironman Training

jimf

jimf Newbie

recently dx'd, but have been doing ironman triathlons for some time and plan to continue. wondering if anyone has experience with this issue- particularly using products like cliff bars, gatorade etc.? if not would any direct me to where i might find more info. i have contacted indiv. companies with little response thus far.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Chick here, no Ironman. But Gatorade is gluten free. Enjoy, uh, well.......refresh and replenish. :)

Heather22 Rookie

Wow, all I did was read the subject and I was excited. Jimf, I really admire your sport. I have not done any triathlons, but have the goal of doing one in the next few years (I also have to save up for the bike I want....but can't afford) : )

As far as nutrition, there are many gluten-free choices. Amongst my favorites are:

1) Elev8me bars (protein and fruit bar)

2) Sharkies

3) AccelGel (vanilla or chocolate)

4) Vega (powder and bars)

5) Organic Food Bars

6) Homemade sports drink (diluted juice, H2O, salt)

I think Hammer also has gluten-free gels, drinks, etc. Apparently Cliff Nectar Bars are gluten-free, but I am not sure if they sell them in Canada, as I have never seen them.

Go on the archives for this thread (Sports & Fitness). Other people have posted on endurance events and gluten-free supplements. I think there even might be a few triathletes...

Being diagnosed might be a blessing in disguise, as athletic performance can be hindered by gluten-type products (PS. A good book is "Thrive" by Brenden Brazier- kind of touches this subject). However, also be aware that most people have to be cautious when eating gluten-free breads, pasta, cookies, etc. After any bit of starch (even gluten-free ones), my running really goes down and I feel lethargic. Everybody has individual reactions, but it is definitely worth paying attention to while making the transition to gluten-free.

Good luck!

Heather : )

velo-mike Rookie

I was a competitive cyclist before being diagnosed 4 years ago and am still racing my bike now. I have been racing mountain bikes for 15 years, road for 8 years, track for 4 years and cyclocross for 2. In the last 2 years, I have also done longer distance marathon mountain bike races and multi-day stage races.

The thing that I really noticed since becoming gluten-free is an improvement in my recovery. I recover alot faster than before being diagnosed. I also think my endurance is better now. This may just be due to different training and not because of my diet, I'm not sure.

As far as nutrition, I swear by Vega (powder and bars) and I also use Gu2O and Gu Gels which are all gluten-free.

I suggest that you get used to planning what you're going to eat when you're away from your kitchen and during competitions and bringing your own food when travelling. It is the best way to stay gluten-free and healthy. Keep a positive attitude.

Hope this helps a bit...

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
Leasaray Newbie
recently dx'd, but have been doing ironman triathlons for some time and plan to continue. wondering if anyone has experience with this issue- particularly using products like cliff bars, gatorade etc.? if not would any direct me to where i might find more info. i have contacted indiv. companies with little response thus far.

I run marathons and swim. For me, The only thing that I have been able to tolerate during a race is "Honey Stinger" ( www.honeystinger.com ) as I'm allergic to soy. Gatorade works well but can be too sweet at times. I usually drink Amino Vital ( www.amino-vital.com ). I hope this helps :)

• 2 weeks later...
super-sally888 Contributor

Hi,

That's exciting training for IM. I have doing triathlon for a few years, but no IM yet. Was planning to do IM next year February, but currently suffering bad plantar fascitis, so might have to pull out...

Have only just started gluten free (still waiting for biopsy resutls), but feeling much better. I REALLY hope that this is going to help... been having lots of injury problems, along with the tummy stuff - and its not like I am working out really high intensity - though consistently.

For food - I am going to have to start experimenting now that am off gluten. Crank E-gel is gluten free...., bananas, peanut butter (just get the single serve packs and eat it like you'd eat a gel.... :) I love it!

Best wishes... you could also check out the beginnertriathlon.com website (they have a basic free membership category) and post asking others who are gluten intolerant what they do.

Best wishes

Sally

• 2 weeks later...
kimberleyshort Newbie

All Hammer products are gluten free. I have used them exclusively-especially the Endurolytes and the Sustained Energy-a product to use while on your bike. It's a 7:1 carb/protein ratio that delivers a very sustained level of energy. Once I started using it I never went back to Gatorade etc. It also does not contain any sugar i.e. sucrose, dairy, colors, flavors, stimulants etc. a huge plus for me on the run. You can also mix a multi-hour bottle into your first water bottle depending on how long your training ride is- 3,4 5 hour whatever, then use a bottle with plain water to supplement with enough fluid. You can also add a hammer gel into the Sustained Energy to add taste (also gluten free). I do several half IM's and many other races per year using their products and they are the best! Good luck with the training!!

www.hammernutrition.com

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived