Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Noel1965

Campbells Soup

Hi All - I think I may have read somewhere before that chicken/beef broths have gluten. Yet I read so many of your recipes, etc that call for a can of broth. Does anyone know for certain if Campbell's chicken and/or beef broth are gluten free? Thank you......Noel

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I don't have the answer to the specific question, but Campbells is a brand that will clearly disclose gluten in the ingredient list. If you don't see any of the words wheat, rye, barley or oat in the ingredient list, there is no gluten in the product. If I recall correctly, some, but not all, of the broths are gluten-free.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

I am so glad that you asked this question! I have been searching and have not found the answer. I have a carton of Swanson Chicken Broth - 32 oz size - and I have not been able to find anything. Reading the label, everything looks OK, but I thought that Swanson was not safe (don't know why I thought this).

Thanks for asking - and thanks for the information on Campbells.

Tracy

Tracy

- Dx by Derm with DH in Oct 2005 - both by bloodwork and skin biopsy.

- Dx with celiac disease in Nov 2005 by biopsy of small intestine.

- gluten-free since Oct 2005

Thanks for the info Nini. Psawyer it appears from reading the ingredients that the Campbells broths are safe but I was sure I read somewhere that they were not. Therefore I have used them. I'm from a small town and that's the only broth on the shelf. It sure would be easier to use what is readily available.

I meant that I had NOT used them....

I use Swanson's broth all the time. Some are not gluten-free though so you need to be careful. I only use the Natural Goodness (or something like that) chicken broth in the can. I see if I can't find my sheet that lists the swanson's broth.

Hez

Here's confirmation for the broths. Updated delphi list (Sept 2006) I know the chicken broth is okay in Canada, but the U.S. section looks confusing...? Swanson okay?

Soups

Campbell’s Canada (www.campbellsoup.ca/en/home.asp)

(v-01/27/06)

RED & WHITE: bean with bacon 10 fl oz, chicken broth 10 fl oz, chicken with rice 10 fl oz, chicken with white & wild rice 10 fl 0z, fiesta tomato 10 fl oz, tomato with basil & oregano 10 fl oz, vegetable broth with onions 10 fl oz

READY TO SERVE: fiesta vegetable 19 fl oz

READY TO SERVE HEALTHY REQUEST: New England clam chowder 19 fl oz

RED & WHITE READY TO USE: chicken broth 900 ml tetra, beef broth 25% less sodium 900 ml tetra, chicken broth 25% less sodium 900 ml tetra, chicken broth 500 ml tetra, Thai broth 500 ml tetra, vegetable broth 500 ml tetra

CHUNKY READY TO SERVE: split pea with ham 19 oz, steak chili

GARDENNAY SOUPS (TETRA PAK): butternut squash 500 ml & 1l, golden autumn carrot 500 ml & 1l, red pepper black bean 500 ml & 1l

HABITANT SOUPS: French Canadian pea 8 0z, 14 oz, & 28 oz, pea with garden vegetable 28 oz, pea with smoked ham 8, 14 & 28 oz

Campbell's USA (vs=4/20/06)

Chicken Broccoli Cheese Chunky Soup 18 oz

Savory Lentil Select Soup 19 oz

Swanson Broth: Lower Sodium Beef Broth 14 oz; RTS Beef Broth 14.5 oz; RTS Chicken Broth 14.5 oz & 49.5 oz; Natural Goodness Chicken Broth-all sizes; Vegetable Broth  14 oz

Chilliman Chili (Faribault Foods) (www.chilliman.com) (v.e.=2/22/06)

Chilliman Chili products with beans are gluten free.

Fantastic Foods (vw=2/23/06) http://www.fantasticfoods.com/diet/wheat_free.php

SOUP & DIP MIXES: Onion Soup & Dip, Vegetable Soup & Dip, Onion Mushroom Soup & Dip, Garlic Herb Soup & Dip

INTERNATIONAL DISHES: Original Hummus, Instant Refried Beans, Instant Black Beans, Spinach Parmesan Hummus

Hormel Foods (vw=4/24/06) (http://www.hormel.com/faq/faqList.asp?catitemid=41)

DINTY MOORE® Beef or Chicken Stew; DINTY MOORE® Microwave Meals: Scalloped Potatoes & Ham, Beef Stew, Rice with Chicken; HERB-OX® Bouillon: Beef, Chicken, Vegetable, Garlic Chicken; HORMEL® Chili with Beans: Regular, Chunky, Hot; HORMEL® Microwave Bean & Ham Soup

President's Choice Cream of Mushroom - Ready to Serve Soup (888-495-5111) (vp=4/11/06)

Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy

Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism

endometriosis (at age 20)

spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."

Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.

-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."

Unknown

Karen,

I looked at the Delphi List this morning before I posted and I know what you mean that it is confusing. The container that I bought is 32 oz. which is not on the Delphi List. But reading the ingredients it appears to be ok.

Thanks,

Tracy

Tracy

- Dx by Derm with DH in Oct 2005 - both by bloodwork and skin biopsy.

- Dx with celiac disease in Nov 2005 by biopsy of small intestine.

- gluten-free since Oct 2005