This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do You Want A Cigarette...

Compassion

Compassion Newbie

I had an interesting conversation with my boss today about Thanksgiving at my in-laws and how I wasn't looking forward to having to explain my "odd" eating habits, since this is only the second month I am gluten-free and I am still "technically" not diagnosed, although I am getting it through my skull that a positive dietary reaction is enough B) . My husband's family all have issues with food, as in they use it as a substitute for love, for attention, for stuffing anger, you get the picture... so a carb helps anything right? And since they equate food with love, me turning down food is akin to not accepting their love. Understandable and immature though it may be, it is my current reality there.

My boss brought up the analogy about how to keep my willpower during the event and since I am personally opposed to smoking (my lungs only, do with your lungs as you will), she asked me what I would do if they offered me a cigarette? Well of course I would turn it down I said... and she said, consider it like that... gluten is harmful to your body, it doesn't matter what they do with it, but you shouldn't eat it.

For some reason that clicked with me and helped elminate the last of my guilt. I thought I would share in hopes that it may help someone else over that hump...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gabby Enthusiast

That is the most fantastic thing I've ever heard. It makes perfect sense, and your boss is right. I don't smoke, and if someone offered me a cigarette...even if it was a cigarette convention and everyone else was doing it, I would not smoke. And I'm not allergic to smoking, nor do I have a disease that prevents me from smoking. i just don't do it. As a personal choice. And I never feel the need to explain myself and my non-smoking choice to others.

Thanks for posting this!

tarnalberry Community Regular

It often amazes me why more people don't intrisically see it that way to start with, but, as you note, many people think of food through emotionally-colored lenses, only they don't realize they do so.

Angeleyes Newbie

I think that is a wonderful analogy! Whatever works to make you realize that your choices are YOUR choices to make, without guilt! My dog suffers from Celiac disease we believe, though definitely SEVERE food allergies to all glutens. So if I have company I'm constantly eyeing everyone to be sure that they aren't feeding Maximus (my dog) anything he shouldn't, and God help them if they drop something!!! It's bad for my dog to get these foods, he will be sick for a week from eating ONE potato chip... IMO there is no room for a slip-up. Good for you for finally realizing that choosing your own health and realizing that anyone too blind to see your reasoning isn't worth getting yourself sick for!

Mango04 Enthusiast

Thanks for sharing that. I really like it. :)

Creative-Soul Newbie

Thank you for sharing that; it's an awesome perspective to have been given. You are fortunate to have such an understanding boss!

SchnauzerMom Rookie

That's a great idea! I never thought of it that way. I'll keep that in mind if I come across someone who is pushy. So far most people have not tried to push anything on me. But, Thanksgiving is coming. I'm working on a plan for dealing with it. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Compassion Newbie

I am glad that it made sense to others too :).

Yes, I do have an amazing boss, I am incredibly fortunate. I couldn't ask for anything better. She is so understanding and has lots of good insight. I have learned a lot from her.

Archived