• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

dennymel

How Long To Eat Gluten Before Testing?

Rate this topic

Are 2 days with Gluten enough time for it to get back in my system and show up on blood tests? I hate to do this to myself, but I need to know. I want that documentation that says I AM SICK and it's not in my head like others have told me. It means so much to me and I"m scared that I DON'T have it actually. Anyone experience this?

Gluten challenges are usually about 6 weeks. Sorry to say but, I think I'll have to do it in February too. Not looking foward to it, though Olive Garden will see lots of me!!!

Oh, I believe this is for endoscopy testing...not sure about blood tests.

Are 2 days with Gluten enough time for it to get back in my system and show up on blood tests? I hate to do this to myself, but I need to know. I want that documentation that says I AM SICK and it's not in my head like others have told me. It means so much to me and I"m scared that I DON'T have it actually. Anyone experience this?

I have heard gluten challenges need to be the equivalent of four slices of bread for four months. I am very sensitive to gluten and tortured myself for six weeks ... all tests were negative. I was very ill for those six weeks, and would not have been physically able to do four months. I would either choose to have the challenge be the right length or not bother with it at all. Why make yourself sick if it's not for a long enough time? Besides, if it makes you sick, you KNOW it's a problem!!

I was off gluten for 8 weeks before going back on it for two before my blood test. That test came back "equivocal", but when I was tested again after three months on gluten, it was positive. If I'm not mistaken, with the enterolab testing, you don't need to be on gluten to test.

If you've been gluten-free for any longer than a week or two before this, no, two days won't be anywhere near long enough. You'll need about three months, with at least 3 slices of bread a day, to have confidence in the tests.