Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dennymel

How Long Back On Gluten Before Blood Tests Are Accurate?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi All,

I am scheduled to have blood tests this Monday. If I eat Gluten all weekend, will it be back in my system enough to test Celiac?

Hi and welcome,

I think it's difficult to say and I am no expert. I guess it depends how long it takes for the antibodies to show up in your blood. How long were you off gluten? I'm sorry I can't be more help. Good luck to you and let us know your results.

lisa

Hi All,

I am scheduled to have blood tests this Monday. If I eat Gluten all weekend, will it be back in my system enough to test Celiac?

The normal advice is that you have to go back to eating gluten for at least 6 weeks (longer if possible) to build up enough antibodies to get a 'positive' on your bloods.

Unfortunately a couple of days of eating gluten (if you were gluten-free) will not be enough to give you an accurate result on your bloods :(

It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

black_cat.gif

If you were gluten-free for longer than a week or two, you need at least three months on gluten (the equivalent of three slices of bread a day), to have good expectations that the tests will be at their most reliable. (Which, remember, is still not 100% - almost no medical test is that reliable.)

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA