Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amanda L

How Long Did It Take You To Feel Better?

I've been gluten free for about 48 hours now, and I think I feel a little better already! At least, I haven't had diarrhea today (which is always a good thing, right??) and I'm not icky feeling. Am I really feeling better, or am I just imagining it?

Amanda

Sometimes I wish someone out there would find me,

Till then I walk alone~Green Day

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I noticed my "D" and "C" was better within a couple of days too. So this is real. Congratulations. It will be easier to stick to the diet now that you have seen results :)

Jan 1990 - Dx CFS/ME/FM (URI's, Ataxia, myoclonus, orthostatic hypotension, insomnia, brain fog, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat... ) Completely Disabled (housebound and bedridden at times)

2004 - Digestive pain all the time.

May 2004 - Hiatal hernia, erosive gastritis, gastroparesis (endoscopy)

August 2004 - Colon polyps, diverticulitus, internal hemorrhoids (colonoscopy)

No relief from Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, Zelnorm, Miralax, Imodium, Lomotil ...

July 2005 - GP recommended WFDFSFEFCF + vegan (Also, anything that hurts free)

Immediately stopped needing naps and digestive pain reduced.

Sept 2005 - GFDFCFSFEF + chemical free - Immediately stopped feeling jittery / buzzing and digestive issues were much better.

June 2006 - Dx B12 and iron deficient. Started B12 injections and using cast iron pan.

August 2006 - MYOCLONUS GONE. (off Klonopin)

September 2006 - ATAXIA, INSOMNIA and Feeling like the floor was moving under my feet gone.

June 19, 2007 - Positive DQ2, Dx Celiac

October 2007 - Sleeping like a baby, waking up with energy, but still having fatigue/stamina issues

Nov 2007 - Started Paleo diet for chronic hypoglycemia

April 2008 - GTT normal. I'm no longer hypoglycemic. Started Low oxalate diet for kidney stones.

May 1, 2008 - Began salt loading for OI/NMH - noticed immediately muscle weakness was gone. I was sodium deficient but my labs don't reflect it. Still working on OI and PEM.

Amanda L - I'm glad to hear you're feeling better! I started to feel good after a couple days too... but it was still a long healing process. As Mike says, everyone is different. I don't want you to get discouraged if you have a good days and bad days. It took me a year to fully recover. It took time to master the diet, and it took time to heal. And, it is an ongoing process. I still make mistakes.

Also, as you eliminate gluten from your diet, your body may get more sensitive to gluten. When I first started eating gluten-free, I didn't react to a little accidental gluten in my diet. I was eating products that I thought were gluten-free, but weren't. After a couple months, I started to react to these products. It took me time and research to figure out what products were making me sick, but I got there in the end. One thing I totally ignored at the beginning was my shampoo and body lotion. I just didn't believe they could get in my mouth and make me sick, but they did. So, please don't get discouraged if you have some ups and downs at the beginning. That is normal. I hope you continue to feel great!

Karen

gluten-free since March 05

Sounds like you are better. Every day without gluten is better!!!

Lee

I started feeling better after about 3 days. Could stand upright again & even lifted a full bag of sugar!

Probably a few months to get used to feeling healthy. For the longest time I didn't realize I was hungry, just thought I was sick again...

Misdiagnosed with Duardinitis & Endometriosis

Diagnosed after 6 yrs & 4 Doc and every test known to man

Diagnosed October 2004

Anemic as a teen

Small Stature

Dental Issues

Constant Headaches

Joint Pain

Mood Swings

Lethargy

All those disappeared after eliminating Gluten

For the longest time I didn't realize I was hungry, just thought I was sick again...

That was me last night! I thought, ewwww, I feel yucky. Then my tummy growled, so I ate something. I felt so much better after that! I've also eaten almost like a normal person the last couple of days. Not just a bite here and a bite there, but eaten actual meals. That's the first time I've done that in a LONG time.

Amanda

Sometimes I wish someone out there would find me,

Till then I walk alone~Green Day

Guest cassidy

Glad you are doing better but please don't get discouraged if the beginning is a bit of a roller coaster. It is challenging to learn not to gluten yourself in a few days. There is gluten hidden in all sorts of places. At least you are feeling good now and you know the diet works. You will probably gluten yourself less and less often but it does happen to all of us.

Good luck!

Guest Norah022

I have been gluten free since June 2006 and the first month or so was great.

The past few months have been awful and I have been sicker now then I ever was before going gluten free. It seems new symptoms appeared once i went gluten free and therefore I am sicker now than I have ever been.