Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Juanita

Healthy gluten-free Flour

Does anyone know a substitute for the traditional mixture of white rice/potato/tapico flours that is low-carb? I want to make pumpkin that is more healthy/low in carbs.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Glutenevolution.com has breads that are made from bean flours and are healthy. You can order them online. They have a pie crust. I have one, but haven't used the pie crust, but the banana bread was excellent and the bread was good too.

Monica

flours made from the following are all more nutritious than rice, potato, and tapioca (and wheat, for that matter):

• amaranth
  • quinoa
  • garbanzo bean
  • millet
  • flax
  • nuts
  • buckwheat
  • teff

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Maybe I should be more specific: I need a substitute for Betty Hagman's gluten-free flour mixture that has rice/potato/tapico flours to make my pumpkin roll. Then, how much xanthan gum per cup of flour?

I just made a gluten-free pumpkin roll & used the typical flours. It turned out wonderful didn't even crack when I rolled it up with the filling. Anyway its dessert so why does it have to be healthy/////////// just kidding.

mamaw

Maybe I should be more specific: I need a substitute for Betty Hagman's gluten-free flour mixture that has rice/potato/tapico flours to make my pumpkin roll. Then, how much xanthan gum per cup of flour?

I vary what flours I use depending on what I'm making - I don't pre-make any mixes, and don't even always use the same proportions. :D I presume a pumpkin roll is similar to pumpkin bread? Somewhat dense, with a hearty flavor? If so, it'll do well with heartier flours, and I would particularly use amaranth (a bit nutty), millet, and flax. I'd still use at least some sorgum, and would consider using one fourth sweet rice flour, as the lighter flours are important for texture. I forget the xanthum gum ratio... I don't always find it needs to be used, and sometimes when I use it, my bread is too gummy.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA