This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Went To The Gi Doctor Today

lyndszai

lyndszai Apprentice

Today I finally got to see the gi specliest.It took around 8 months to ger in .I was there for 3 hrs .I went on the gluten-free diet July 2 and he scedualed my biospy and colon something for sept. 21 .Im really nervus about it .He told me if I had celiac it would show up no matter if I was gluten-free before .I think its going to show neg. becauses I was on the diet previous.For the people who had to do this should I be loading on the gluten right now .Its kinda of hard with school starting .Have any advice im so scared because what if it shows neg. Im so positive its celiac.Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreachiated.thanks Lynds

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GEF Explorer

If it makes you feel any better, I've had the endoscopy (the tube they insert down your throat), a sigmoidoscopy (a mini-colonoscopy) and a colonoscopy.... and none of them are that bad at all. Now, I'll fore-warn you, the preparation can be a little embarrassing, but it's not too bad. For the tests, they'll drug you up pretty good and you feel like "all is well" during it, so you really won't think it's bad at all... if you can even remember (the drugs sometimes give you amnesia). All the tests were normal for me... but, I don't regret getting them done. As nice as it is to get answers, it's also nice to rule other things out :D

From what I've heard, you should be loading up on the gluten before the test, or your results could be inconclusive. Sounds like a horrible thing to do, though.

Good luck with your tests. Keep us updated on how things are going for you ok?

Gretchen

lyndszai Apprentice

Ya I heard about the preperation .The problem is i have a 2 hrs drive to the hospital :( .which kind of worrys me because of the laxitives .They are gonig to put me to sleep and while im asleep there going to take my blood because I dont like needles .You are right it is good to rule somethings out i just hope they get to the bottem of it . thanks I will keep u updated .

GEF Explorer

Oh no... they shouldn't let you drive yourself. Normally they won't let you do the procedure unless someone drives you home... you might want to double check this with your doctor's office, though. Or were you just referring to the time to drive there, period? Usually by the time you're going to the hospital or office, the prep is pretty much completed... but, just in case, prepare to stop at a rest area.

I know.. . it's nice to get an answer to what's making your body react the way it does.

PS... I hate needles too! eewwwww! I haven't fainted yet, but I get close.

Gretchen

lyndszai Apprentice

Oh no lol I cant even drive yet .I was talking about the time becauses we have to go on a highway which means no rest rooms...for awhile

Alexolua Explorer

Hey lyndszai.

Have you seen the posts about enterolab.com in here? They do testing for celiac, and are supposed to be more accurate than the blood and biopsy are. And they can test you when you've been gluten-free for awhile.

The only problem you might have, is that I don't think medical insurance covers their testing, and your doctor may not accept their results.

What you do basically, is order the tests you want from their website, they mail them to you, then you give them a stool sample, send it back, and your results get emailed to you. Not too painful, lol.

My point though is if you are scared that nothing will show up since you've been gluten free, you could get tested by them too. That's what I did, just to be safe, incase my biopsy was negative, which it was, bleck.

Not trying to advertise though, just letting you know about another option aviable. =)

Archived