Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

elaine33

Sick From Progresso Classics Split Pea W/ham Soup

I have been gluten-free and milk/casin free for a few weeks now. I wasn't feeling well this week and didn't keep up on my grocery shopping. I went into the pantry and found Progresso Split Pea soup and the only allergen it listed was soy, although it said it contained hydrolized corn gluten (which I thought would be safe). Only, immediately after eating it the stomach cramps started then they passed a little, I tried to go out with my family and they had to take me home, I had diarrhea, then slept two hours. Stomach is still funny this morning. I have eaten peas and ham separately (although the fattiness of the ham sometimes doesn't agree with me but usually not that violently).

What could it be? Anyone else.

Elaine 40

Diagnoses

Possible leaky gut

Wheat/gluten intolerance

Milk intolerance

Sugar intolerance

POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome)

dysautonomia

rectal spasm/proctalgia fugax?

Polycystic ovarian syndrome

endometriosis

adenomysosis

multiple chemical sensitivity

infertility

two second trimester miscarriages

Family history

Mother with B12 deficiency, neurologic symptoms, tachycardia and early-onset dementia (has a terrible doctor who told her all these things are from anxiety)

Sister with multiple sclerosis and polycystic ovarian syndrome

Son with asthma, allergies, hyperactivity

Niece in remission from leukemia/asthma

Niece with polycystic ovarian syndrome

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Guest cassidy

I can't tolerate progresso. I figured mine was due to the MSG in it. I never had a problem with that but now I eat so healthy that anything with chemicals gets to me. I would think it could be that or maybe cc. A lot of their soups have gluten so maybe the batch before yours had pasta in it and that was enough to get you sick.

Feel better!

I don't know why, but I can't eat Progresso soups--they cause D for me, too. I have a non-celiac friend who also says that it goes right through her.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I don't know why, but I can't eat Progresso soups--they cause D for me, too. I have a non-celiac friend who also says that it goes right through her.

That's really interesting because there are some of the chicken and turkey noodles that I couldn't eat before, either, causing D. I can handle the Manhattan clam chowder, though.

Thanks. :)

Elaine 40

Diagnoses

Possible leaky gut

Wheat/gluten intolerance

Milk intolerance

Sugar intolerance

POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome)

dysautonomia

rectal spasm/proctalgia fugax?

Polycystic ovarian syndrome

endometriosis

adenomysosis

multiple chemical sensitivity

infertility

two second trimester miscarriages

Family history

Mother with B12 deficiency, neurologic symptoms, tachycardia and early-onset dementia (has a terrible doctor who told her all these things are from anxiety)

Sister with multiple sclerosis and polycystic ovarian syndrome

Son with asthma, allergies, hyperactivity

Niece in remission from leukemia/asthma

Niece with polycystic ovarian syndrome

Carefully reread the Progresso soup labels. My husband, who avoids gluten in order to prevent arthritis symptoms, has only found a few Progress soups (like chicken with wild rice) which are actually gluten free. If you don't see any obvious wheat products on the label, call the company or check their website. My hubby loves split pea soup, but won't buy the Progresso version. So I suspect he saw a gluten ingredient on the can. Even though I have diagnosed celiac disease and 4 other food allergies, he's my FOOD POLICEMAN and obsessively reads every label of foods we both eat. LOL

BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

That's a good point, burdee. I also wonder what their cleaning procedure is between batches.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev