Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

runnerjen

Skin Care Products

Hello, I'm new to the forum and will be starting on a gluten-free diet next week after my endoscopy.

My doctor didn't mention anything about buying gluten free skin care products, and I'm wondering if that is really an issue. I usually use a face wash that contains oatmeal. Is this still ok?

Thanks!

Gluten-Free December 2006-February 2007, then told ok to stop. Now here I am again, Gluten-Free since April 2008.

I did it! I ran my first Half Marathon at Disney on 1/6/07 for the Arthritis Foundation!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hello, I'm new to the forum and will be starting on a gluten-free diet next week after my endoscopy.

My doctor didn't mention anything about buying gluten free skin care products, and I'm wondering if that is really an issue. I usually use a face wash that contains oatmeal. Is this still ok?

Thanks!

Hello and welcome :)

The issue with skin care products--really, all personal care products--is that they can easily get into your mouth. You apply it with your hands, then lick your finger, or prepare your food.

Another thing that happens to some is that we become increasingly more sensitive to smaller amounts of gluten after we go gluten-free. So, the tiny amount that gets into your mouth gets ingested, and causes a reaction. I had it happen with hair gel.

I would switch to a face wash that does not contain gluten :)

Best of luck on your endoscopy next week!

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Guest nini

yep it does make a difference, the longer you are gluten-free, the more sensitive most people become to minute amounts, so it's pretty clear that yes, just using a skin care product runs a risk of even a molecule making it into your mouth... I don't know how often I'd innadvertently get a taste of my lotion... blech!

I didn't think it was necessary at first. Now, I know that my slow recovery was due to gluten filled body lotion. I would definitely only use gluten free body products, ESPECIALLY face wash.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004