Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zachsmom

Hydrolyzed Vegtable Protein

I found this in a list of no nos. ....

hydrolyzed vegtable protein???

:huh: what is it and what the heck does it do?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm not sure why it's in the foods that it's in, but it's basically some proteins from various plants that have been broken down into smaller pieces (hydrolyzed), and it can be made from wheat, so avoid it. I'm guessing it adds either flavor or texture. So Swanson chicken broth is okay, but College Inn has HVP, so I avoid it (although I admit I never checked with them to see if it was wheat derived). That's the ingredient that makes some broths, soup bases, and prebasted turkeys off-limits.

Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

It is usually soy, not wheat, but you do have to ask in some cases.

In the US, by law, wheat and/or soy must be clearly disclosed in food, but rye, barley and oats can still hide.

There are a number of manufacturers who will clearly disclose gluten. If the product is from one of them you know that if it is wheat it will say so using the exact word, "wheat." Everybody knows about Kraft, but there are many others.

I've posted my list of trusted brands/companies a number of times, but if anybody wants to see it again, let me know.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

ON the College Inn broth, I had called 6 months ago when dx b/c I had some in my pantry, and they said it was NOT gluten-free (howeve that could have also just been a CYA statement, but regardless I gave it away to my non celiac friends). I use Swanson's (there's is gluten-free).

It was in this booklet that came from the hospital,.. Its made from wheat... who knew...

I'm not sure why it's in the foods that it's in, but it's basically some proteins from various plants that have been broken down into smaller pieces (hydrolyzed), and it can be made from wheat, so avoid it. I'm guessing it adds either flavor or texture. So Swanson chicken broth is okay, but College Inn has HVP, so I avoid it (although I admit I never checked with them to see if it was wheat derived). That's the ingredient that makes some broths, soup bases, and prebasted turkeys off-limits.

In the US, by law, wheat and/or soy must be clearly disclosed in food, but rye, barley and oats can still hide.

There are a number of manufacturers who will clearly disclose gluten. If the product is from one of them you know that if it is wheat it will say so using the exact word, "wheat." Everybody knows about Kraft, but there are many others.

I've posted my list of trusted brands/companies a number of times, but if anybody wants to see it again, let me know.

I would love to get a copy of that list. Please post again. Thanks.

Please post it again. I know I could use a refresher course!

Iron deficiency without anemia, unexplained weight loss 2/2003

Positive celiac biopsy 4/2003

Autoimmune thyroiditis 8/2005

Gluten Free Since 2003

Here's the list I have. There may be others. These companies declare gluten clearly in the ingredients list, using the words wheat, rye, barley or oats. If none of these words appear in the list, then there is no gluten in the product.

Arrowhead Mills, Aunt Nelly's, Balance, Baskin Robbins, Ben & Jerry, Bertoli, Betty Crocker, Blue Bunny, Breyers, Campbells, Cascadian Farms, Celestial Seasonings, ConAgra, Country Crock, Edy's, General Mills, Good Humor, Green Giant, Haagen Daz, Hellman's, Hershey, Hormel, Hungry Jack, Jiffy, Knorr, Kozy Shack, Kraft, Lawry's, Libby's, Lipton, Martha White, Maxwell House, McCormick, Nabisco, Nestle, Old El Paso, Ortega, Pillsbury, Popsicle, Post, Progresso, Ragu, Russell Stover, Seneca Foods, Skippy, Smucker, Stokely's, Sunny Delight, T Marzetti, Tyson, Unilever, Wishbone, Yoplait, Zatarain's.

Cross contamination could occur, so this is not an absolute guarantee. It is enough for me to trust the products, and I am grateful to these companies for their transparent labelling policies. I don't need to have a list, or to make phone calls. I just read the label and I know.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Thanks, that's a really helpful list. Unfortunately, I think that Hershey's may have changed their policy when it comes to disclosing gluten, at least when it comes to "natural flavors". This is what they e-mailed me when I inquired about their sundae syrups: "Natural flavors are derived from natural sources which could have gluten. The Sundae Syrups you are referring to have not been tested to determine if they are gluten free." When I followed up with a phone call, the rep said that although certain products with natural flavors had been tested to determine if they were gluten-free, not all products had been. So, if a Hersheys product has natural flavors, one can't assume that the flavors don't contain gluten. I'm sticking with Nestles!