Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adelle

Fibromyalgia

This probably isn't the right spot for this, but someone will move it I assume....

A few of my previous docs brought up fibromyalgia (sp??) as a possibility for my severe achieness and joint pain. I have good and bad days. Anyway just out of curiousity I googled it today. It sounds eerily familiar. I was just wondering if anyone else has it, is it related to celiac, and what can I do about it?

Just wondering since ya'll kinda know everything about health stuff.

Well thanx

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

For me fibro was directly related to my celiac as was my arthritis. It took a long time, at least 6 months for both to go into remission but they only rear their ugly heads now when I am glutened. I suffered greatly from both 15 years and have a bit of permanent joint damage in my hands but I am now pain free.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

My Rheumotlogist has brought up Fibro several times to explain the pain and discomfort that isn't centered around my joints. For example, my forearms, thighs, shins, etc. The joint pain, for me, is arthritis which is related to the celiac disease.

everyones different though!

Arthritis and Fibro are always present for me, however theey get MUCH worse when I get gluten.

Michael J. MacCartney

gluten-free 2005-June-24 Dairy free 2005-July-26

gluten / casein intolerant

HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,7)

Diagnosed Celiac 2006-April-24

Father of:

Michael II HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,6) - Allergic to Peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, and milk

William HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,5) - Allergy free

To support what the previous people have said....there is a definite connection between fibro and gluten intolerance for me. I was dx with fibro first and then with a gluten intolerance and I am faring much better now with the fibro since going gluten-free. There will always be good and bad times, for me in times of real stress, the fibro can flare up, but it seems to be hard work stress rather than mental stress. It all fits together so perfectly, I don't see why some doctors don't get it. They will eventually, we just have to wait for them to catch up!!! Barbara

Well that IS interesting. :) at least I'm not alone! Ha ha! I try to avoid stress, I avoid gluten like the plague! I'm starting to volunteer for the willamette humane society (I get to play with dogs for my excercise, yay!), and my husband rubs my sorest muscles/joints daily. Other than that, anything else helpful??

Thank you tons and tons!!

Well that IS interesting. smile.gif at least I'm not alone! Ha ha! I try to avoid stress, I avoid gluten like the plague! I'm starting to volunteer for the willamette humane society (I get to play with dogs for my excercise, yay!), and my husband rubs my sorest muscles/joints daily. Other than that, anything else helpful??

For me sorting out my HypoThyroid and Adrenal Fatigue sorted out my Fibro pain properly ! My blood tests for Thyroid were always wrong but it took a good Dr to work out why :D

Before I found this good Dr and learnt from STTM - I used to have acupuncture to relieve the pain. It used to work great for a few days. It was Chinese acupuncture which meant that I had needles put everywhere !

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.

Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.

Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.

Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.

Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.

News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !

Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!