This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ground Turkey

Cynbd

Cynbd Contributor

does anyone know what the deal is on ground turkey? I have heard that the frozen meat/patties can be a problem, but I am just talking about the fresh stuff...

Thanks --- Cin

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Read the label and if it says "wheat" , don't go there.

Cin, if there is wheat there, it is required by law to list. If you don't see that on the label, enjoy it.

lovegrov Collaborator

Not just wheat. Because it's plain raw meat, any grains MUST be listed.

richard

Guest Kathy Ann

Just when you thought you were safe......I was in WalMart yesterday trying to buy some hamburger. I almost had it in my cart when I noticed a small sentence on the bottom of the package. "Ground Beef with Natural Flavoring." There it is. Now it might not even be safe to buy hamburger from WalMart ! :blink:

What kind of flavoring is needed in plain ground up beef? I checked the other meats like steaks and roasts and they all said the same thing. The writing is small and you have to really look for it, but they ALL said it. I realize it might still be gluten free. But why in the world do they feel the need to add things to plain meat? :huh:

I guess the best thing to do when in doubt will always be to call the company.

Cynbd Contributor

Just when you thought you were safe......I was in WalMart yesterday trying to buy some hamburger. I almost had it in my cart when I noticed a small sentence on the bottom of the package. "Ground Beef with Natural Flavoring." There it is. Now it might not even be safe to buy hamburger from WalMart ! :blink:

What kind of flavoring is needed in plain ground up beef? I checked the other meats like steaks and roasts and they all said the same thing. The writing is small and you have to really look for it, but they ALL said it. I realize it might still be gluten free. But why in the world do they feel the need to add things to plain meat? :huh:

I couldn't have said it better, that is exactly what I was thinking.... I hadn't really looked at the ground turkey label, and I have been eating it, and I haven't had any issues yet... but I am new to this, so there is always tomorrow. Today I looked and it scared me a little bit...

For crying out loud! What does a girl have to do to get some safe food on this planet :-)

Cheers,

Cin

momandgirls Enthusiast

We use Shadybrook Farms ground turkey all the time with no problems. I believe it also says "with flavorings" but, like I said, I've called the company and we've never had a problem with it. By the way, we also eat their turkey sausage with no problems, too.

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

I use Jennie O ground turkey and turkey sausage and have never had any problems.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

loraleena Contributor

Try Shelton's turkey burgers or Bell and Evans chicken burgers. Both are at whole foods.

lovegrov Collaborator

The "natural flavorings" are added because the only way to produce the lower fat meat the public wants is to remove fat. Removing fat removes flavor and moisture. Fat might be bad for you in excess, but fat is yummy. Most of today's pork and turkey is incredibly bland tasting compared to the past, so they add flavorings and moisture.

But from a gluten standpoint, once again, if it doesn't list wheat, rye or barley on meat, it's gluten-free.

richard

Archived