Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hineini

Parsnip And Carrot Latkes (pancakes)

These are great served with sour cream. Served them at my Chanukah party last night and everyone loved them.

Pictures here: http://glutenfreebay.blogspot.com/2006/12/...and-carrot.html

PARSNIP AND CARROT LATKES

1 pound parsnips

1/2 pound carrots

1 large onion

6 cloves garlic

1 tablespoon pepper

2 teaspoons salt

Juice of 1/2 lemon

1/2 cup of chives, finely chopped

3 eggs, beaten

1 cup Rice Flour Mix

Olive oil for frying

Peel and remove ends from parsnips and carrots. Grate parsnips and carrots by hand or with your food processor's grater attachment. Place in large bowl. Puree onions and garlic in food processor and add to vegetable mixture. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.

Heat 1/2 inch of olive oil in a heavy pan until right before the oil's smoking point. Add 1/4 cup of batter at a time to the hot oil, pressing gently with the back of the spatula until each pancake is 1/2 inch thick. Cook until the exterior is crispy and a dark golden brown in color (approximately 2 minutes), flip and cook on the second side. Remove with slotted spatula and place on plate lined with several layers of brown paper or paper towel. Serve hot.

*Gluten free since 7/06

*Cutting down on soy and dairy since 9/06

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Those look delicious! I'm going to copy it. Thanks :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

They look fantastic :D I don't think I could stomach all those eggs though. Do you think I could replace 2 of them with milk or something else?

Susie from Coventry, UK

IBS & GERD 2000

Screened for coeliac disease as sister has it - negative blood test

Nov 2005 positive blood tests

January 2006 dx by biopsy

gluten-free and dairy lite since then

I am also neutropenic, anaemic and have hypothyroidism

Feb 08: free protein S deficiency; candida overgrowth; adrenal exhaustion

'My grace is enough; it's all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness.' 2 Corinthians 12

Covsooze - It's actually not that much egg given the amount of total batter. The pancakes aren't very eggy tasting and don't have an eggy consistency because Oonce grated, 1 lb of parsnips plus 1 plus pound of carrots and one very large onion makes a huge amount of batter. You could reduce it by one egg, but I wouldn't use less than 2 eggs. It's hard enough for these to stay together even with the 3 eggs!

But you can try using other binders - Try using sticky (sweet) rice flour or potato starch instead of the flour blend I recommend. Or use some egg replacer. Let me know if that works.

*Gluten free since 7/06

I'm thinking of trying potato starch and see how that works. I tend to use that for almost everything.

I was also going to have homemade applesauce with them, as I'm dairy free. (I did love sour cream, though :( )

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I'm thinking of trying potato starch and see how that works. I tend to use that for almost everything.

I was also going to have homemade applesauce with them, as I'm dairy free. (I did love sour cream, though :( )

It's super easy to make cashew sour cream (dairy free) at home and it tastes just like the real thing:

http://glutenfreebay.blogspot.com/2006/10/...-to-rescue.html

*Gluten free since 7/06