This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutened 5 Year Old?

hannahsue01

hannahsue01 Enthusiast

Our daughter spent Friday and Saturday night at her grandparents. They are not gluten free and a farely clueless about all of it. We did take her to the store to pick up what our daughter could eat and had her use paper plates and what not. Told her not to use nonstick pans or the same wash clothes etc. The problem is she threw up Friday night and complained of an upset stomach....no other symptoms. She appeared ok sat and was a little grumpy when she came home Sunday but opened some presents and when to bed. Monday she was not very energetic, clingy, and grumpy. Now today she keeps complaining that she hurts all over and has slept half the day but she has no fever. When sick this kid always seems to run a fever but I donno. Could this all be a cross contamination problem......did she get glutened? I donno if she is actually sick or if she has been glutened? Also would she still be getting side effects from it a few days later. What happens to your little ones when they get glutened?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hannahsue01 Enthusiast

Now she is complaining about her knees hurting....is this related to being glutened? I am unsure if I should send her back to grandma's if she is going to continue to get glutened. She wants to see her for a few days over Christmas break. Any advice would be helpfull. Thanks.

skipper30 Enthusiast

hannahsue01....

Our 4 year old complains of knee pain when glutened. That was a huge complaint he had (among a few others) before going gluten free as well.

I am probably not a lot of help...and a little late to respond to your post...Hope your daughter is feeling better now!!

girlfromclare Apprentice

My four year old boy gets severely distressed and cross and anxious when glutened. he begins to cry at every single little thing, he will become aggressive, lashing out at me and his dad and his little sister. sometimes he just needs to cry and roll around with the pains in his tummy for about an hour and then it begins to slowly wear off. it is very hard to have to stand by and watch this knowing that there is nothing you can do until such a time as it is out of their system and then just plough on and hope they dont get glutened too often - or not at all though thats hard enough...

He does complain of pains in his legs every now and then and will often have headaches... i dont know if this is of any real help as most of his symptoms are emotional. However, if he has dairy, thats when we see the gastro complaints... he will vomit and have diahorrea after dairy. I think the symptoms are so wide ranging and often different from person to person but you will begin to recognise them in your child. hope she is feeling better soon... by the way, you will have to get leaflets or something to the grandparents about the seriousness of the condition... tell them that one tiny particle of the offending food can cause chain reactions of problems in the intestine etc... we had to educate our parents just as we had to educate ourselves when we needed to learn about celiac.

best of luck

liz ireland

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Sorry I can't help. My son was asymptomatic, and he may have accidentally had gluten a couple of months ago on his birthday. I didn't have time to make homemade icing (had a cupcake disaster and had to make a second batch) and we used Duncan Hines icing which according to the ingredient listing appeared gluten free, but now I hear from a lot of people that it isn't. We are in Canada, but the label said product of the USA manufactured for such and such a company Markham, Ont. I called Duncan Hines a couple of weeks ago, and the fellow said there was gluten in the icing, but couldn't tell me the gluten containing ingredient. It pi$$es me off, because the ingredient list looked fine. To make a long story longer, if the November Duncan Hines contained gluten he had no obvious reaction and he ate about 6 cupcakes over the course of a week.

jerseygrl Explorer

Wow, I didn't know duncan Hines icing wasnt gluten-free. I, too, see it listed on Clan Thompson as gluten-free.....?

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

I don't have Clan Thomson, so I can't comment on that, just that I'm 90% sure someone on this forum said Duncan Hines icing is NOT gluten-free, and then Antoine who answered the phone, but other than saying it was not gluten-free, couldn't answer any of my questions. I guess, give them a call and see what answer you get...could be interesting. There's no "may contain" line with wheat, so I figure it must be barley hidden under something other than malt.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StrongerToday Enthusiast

There is one nasty stomach bug running rampent in MIchigan... my daughter had it, and a lot of her friends have had it too. Hope she's feeling better soon!

Archived