This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Big Mistake

Canadiangirl

Canadiangirl Apprentice

Hi there,

I am new to any kind of post board, but I am looking for some feedback. I have been living with Celiac for 4 years now, and proir to that was sick all the time. I have been strictly gluten free for about 3 years with the occasional mishap with suace on a meal or an unknown source. Yesterday I at breakfast with my family, my lovely dad made me gluten free pancakes and the rest of my family regular wheat pancakes. There was some confusion and even though I triple checked, I ate 3 wheat pancakes:( I discpvered teh mistale about 5 minutes after eating them... this was horrifying as I get very ill form even a tiny amount. I immediatly tried to make self vomit but after 30 minutes I gave up and went to the hospital hoping that I could get some sort of vomit inducer. But by this time I am sure the gluten was already digestingand we waited for 4 hours and then left as the wait was going to be a few more hours ( ah, the wonderful medical system of canada). So far I have had a nasty head ache since yesterday when I ate and feel like I have been run over by a large vehicle. I also have a fever. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions. What the heck can I do to bring up a mistaken gluten source, is this even an option? What whould I expect over th enext while as a reslt of this mistake? I assuming i will be ill for the next few weeks...the normal cycle or head aches, then IBS type symptoms....I am worried about the damage I have done:( Its Christmas so my doctor and natuaropath are on holiday:(

I am suprised that I have not been hit hard and stuck on the toilet like i usually am when i eat a very trace amount. Why has a significant amount not cuased this ( yet?)?

Any advice would be amazing. It's a bit of a lonley disease:(

Thanks!

Canadan girl

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

There is really not too much you can do. Unfortunately, you may get a delayed reaction (I usually do), and might still get diarrhea.

Going to the hospital wouldn't have come to much anyway, as they would have just told you that there is nothing they can do, and would have sent you home. Believe me, it has happened to me.

I know I wouldn't be able to make myself vomit to bring up anything. It is not that easy.

I am sorry you're feeling bad. Make sure you stay hydrated, take some painkillers, take it easy and wait it out. That's about all you can do.

You likely have damaged your villi, but that damage will have healed in about three weeks and won't be permanent. Nothing really to worry about, as there really isn't anything to be done, other than being very diligent with your diet.

Corkdarrr Enthusiast

I've read on other posts from this board about people who have eaten a large amount of gluten (such as 3 pancakes) with little to no immediate reaction. The school of thought seems to be that eating so much gluten at once puts your system into shock, and it takes a while for it all to register.

Hope you feel better soon!

moceansylvia- Newbie

I've read on other posts from this board about people who have eaten a large amount of gluten (such as 3 pancakes) with little to no immediate reaction. The school of thought seems to be that eating so much gluten at once puts your system into shock, and it takes a while for it all to register.

Hope you feel better soon!

/quote]

Hi My name is Sylvia and I did a MAJOR MISTAKE Christmas Eve and spiralling downwards Christmas Day. I had been doing so well and finally accepted my food issue. I lost over 15 pounds (well needed) and went on a cruise and stayed on track and didn't even gain any weight due to all the walking and swimming. I became too confident and went to my best friend's house on christmas eve and ate spiral ham, pineapple stuffing, spicy stuffed olives and 3 glasses of wine. I was done, my feet swelled, I got bad chills, nausea, gas pains and flu like symptoms. It is now Wednesday and I have acid reflux so bad I could die. I understand it takes some time to get this out of your system and believe me I am a very positive person, HANG IN THERE, it will go away (right now I can't wait for it to leave me) and you will feel great and energetic again. Its a small set-back and believe me you will NEVER EVER CHEAT AGAIN. This feeling is worse that a bad hangover from my good old college days x10 worse.

I read on one of the sights, drink alot of water, eat alot of the right foods and you will feel better. Last night I didn't feel like cooking, so my husband and I went to Outback and I felt so good after. Don't forget eat frequent small meals (protein), steamed veggies, salad all gluten free. I can't stop sleeping when I don't eat, sooooo eat, just the right foods and you'll be back on track.

Canadiangirl Apprentice

Thanks everyone for some great feedback. I am still feeling it...in waves. no fun! But thats life with this disease eh! Any other feedback is still welcome:) I apologize for all of the typo's in my first post! yikes!

Canadian girl

SchnauzerMom Rookie

I'm recovering from mistakes made during a Christmas dinner too. It just takes time. I am resolved to be more careful in the future. I like the phrase "when in doubt, do without." I think that will be my mantra!

ajay Newbie
I was done, my feet swelled, I got bad chills, nausea, gas pains and flu like symptoms. It is now Wednesday and I have acid reflux so bad I could die. I understand it takes some time to get this out of your system and believe me I am a very positive person, HANG IN THERE, it will go away (right now I can't wait for it to leave me) and you will feel great and energetic again. Its a small set-back and believe me you will NEVER EVER CHEAT AGAIN. This feeling is worse that a bad hangover from my good old college days x10 worse.

Not to cause alarm, Sylvia, but swollen feet, fever/chills, etc. could be an anaphylactic reaction. There's a range in severity-- it is possible to have an anaphylactic reaction without going into shock. But I strongly suggest you be *very* careful in the future. Definitely mention it to your doctor (assuming you have a Doctor With Clue).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived