Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mamaw

Thyroid Experts - I Need Your Advice! Help

Oh, that blessed little butterfly........my thyroid is making me crazy. Last year I took cytomel for about 9 months & I felt wonderful. Then out of the blue my thyroid kicked in & I had to stop the cytomel. When I was on this I didn't have brain fog, itchy skin, headaches or the "C". I never felt that good in my entire life. I haven't been on any thyroid meds since Sept 05. Now I'm having all kinds of problems, heart irregular, can't sleep, brain fog, I can go from freezing to exploding hottness in a second.On 10-27-06 my tsh was very low (0.015).

On 12-15-06 my levels are as follows:

thyroid peroxidase 10

antithyrogolubin 20

both in normal range

thyroglobulin ,quantitative 39.0

normal range

free t4 2.19

high

tsh 0.004

high

t3 262

high

reverse t3 534

high

triiodothyroinine, free serum 6.5

high

cortisol was normal range

lithium levels was 0.1

low

'

The doctor said I was close to grave's disease. But he also said he hasn't seen a persons' reverse t3 being high like mine is...( with the other levels being high also) I have symptoms of both hyper & hypo thyroid.

My first doctor said to immediately have the thyroid removed or nuke it & then go on synthroid for life. I didn't care for either option. My second opinion doctor said not to rush into either of the two options. He said that sometimes the thyroid can be controlled by taking lithium. ( Mind was low)I really don't know what to do at this point. My heart seems to race & pound so I'm a bit scared ...

Has anyone had similar problems ? Any advice is welcomed.....

thanks for any relpies.

mamaw

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I can only comment from my own experience and from bits that I have read since - but there is a resounding opinion from all my lists that nuking is a last resort option. You said you had to stop t3 as you went hyper ... that can happen with synthetic meds easily. It did to me and my hubbie. We couldn't get the right dose. Once we went to Armour we have felt much better and can feel what is working and it feels more natural and 'kinder'.

Have you had adrenals checked for adrenal fatigue? That happens a lot with Thyroid and you can't have Armour if you have adrenal fatigue as you start to get adrenal symptoms when you raise your dose ( heart palps, hyper feelings). Best test for adrenal fatigue I believe is saliva testing and that you can order yourself from canaryclub ?

Have you read www.stopthethyroidmadness.com ? That has lots of good info and a good forum section.It helped me a lot. I think with autoimmune thryoid your numbers can jump around a bit. With Hashimotos like I have - you can go hypo and hyper . That is when the antibodies are active - they change your symptoms. But its not healthy and eventually they kill off your thyroid. I have read that many Drs misdx Hashimotos as Graves . Don't know if that is you or not but something to think about and check.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.

Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.

Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.

Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.

Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.

News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !

Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!