Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michelle M...

Non Gi Symptoms

Hi. I posted a few days ago as a newbie with a question on whether you could still have a problem with gluten in the absence of major GI symptoms. Thanks again for the perspective folks provided confirming it is indeed possible. I'm really glad I found this board with so many smart educated people. It's such a shame so many people have had to struggle for so long before figuring out what was going on. Even if it turns out gluten is not my problem (maybe I am just a crazy hypochondriac), I will continue to spread the word about it to anyone who I think could benefit from it.

I have a few other questions regarding non-GI symptoms and was wondering if they could be related. My dr. suspects gluten is an issue for me however I am awaiting Enterolab results and do not know for sure yet.

Skin - I know there is the DH manifestation of Celiac but what about other skin issues? I've had terrible changes to my skin. I used to have very nice, smooth blemish free skin and one day I noticed it was dehydrated but very oily, clogged pores/blackheads (never had as a teenager/young adult), hyperpigmented and rough gross texture (like an orange peel). I've noticed this mainly on my face but also having some dry itchy patches on lower body and oily on upper body. My hair has also been shedding at an abnormally increased rate for over a year. Hair shedding started before skin changes. Thyroid is perfect. I'm anemic, low b12, low vit d and suspect low folic acid - guess these things could all be from vit/mineral deficiencies. I'm also 35 - I guess it could be hormones and the gateway to perimenopause.

Cognition/Orientation - Are feelings of minor intoxication/confusion/disconnected from reality ever part of the gluten story. What about unrefreshing sleep and feeling like it takes a really long time to actually wake up and come out of a fog? I know these things are symptoms of a lot of things, but just thought I'd ask in context of gluten.

Thanks.

Michelle

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Could be from vitamin/mineral deficiencies, but what are those from?

My hair had started turning unexpectedly gray. When I went gluten-free, the new stuff began coming in in my normal color. The gray I had before I started down this road stayed ( :angry: ).

Brain fog is really common, as are sleep disorders. I couldn't sleep, others have said they slept too much.

Also dental problems, gum inflammation, joint inflammation, hyper-reactive skin.

I'm sure others will list more.

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

I get some pain in the gi tract, but most of my symptoms are in my joints and brain. I get extreme pain in my joints, and I can't think straight. I also get suicidal when I have gluten. I don't know about skin problems, my allergies interfere with any "tests" I could do myself.

Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

Yes, your cognition/orientation problems are common among celiacs. . .the good news is that they more or less go away when you go gluten-free. As for the hair problems, that is your vitamin/mineral deficiencies - specifically the iron (anemia) and the B12. . .despite the similarities in the words, folic acid has nothing to do with hair loss. I had the same problems with hair loss. Talk to your doctor about sublingual B12 or B12 injections and get him/her to put you on beefy (sorry, hefty. . .) iron supplements.

Cognition/Orientation - Are feelings of minor intoxication/confusion/disconnected from reality ever part of the gluten story. What about unrefreshing sleep and feeling like it takes a really long time to actually wake up and come out of a fog? I know these things are symptoms of a lot of things, but just thought I'd ask in context of gluten.

That's what most of us are talking about when we say we get 'brain fog' from being glutened. Appears to be *quite* common.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Absolutely.....gluten reactions do NOT have to be digestive in nature. If you read the book "Dangerous Grains", it has a list of over 200 symptoms that are often a result of celiac disease or gluten sensitivity. The majority of these 200 symptoms are not digestive in nature!

The problem with doctors and their feeble attempts to recognize celiac disease is that they only know the "classic" textbook, most extreme version of celiac disease: a wasted body condition with distended belly, D, foul stools, etc.

I have read about celiac sufferers whose only symptom was seemingly incurable heartburn/reflux.

Others might have migraines. Sinus issues. Seemingly arthritic joints. The list is long...you mentioned having a great many which are on that list!

CAROLE

-------------

Enterolab 1/2006

IgA & tTg Positive

DQ2-0201 (celiac) and DQ1-0604 (gluten)

Casein IgA positive

Mom has 2 celiac genes

Both kids have a celiac gene.

Lots of celiac disease in my family, both sides.