This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Baked Goods

Moondanse

Moondanse Explorer

Hi guys-

I'm still very newly diagnosed and am having to try my hand at cooking/baking. Does the gluten-free stuff go bad quicker than regular foods? I made a quick bread last weekend and put it in the fridge. I am wondering if I'm supposed to freeze it right away to maintain it or if I'm okay eating it throughout the week while kept in the fridge?

What about cookies, muffins, brownies, etc??

Thanks,

Kelli

ps. My topic heading should have asked "How long do they stay fresh"

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kassie Apprentice
What about cookies, muffins, brownies, etc??

those tend to dry up faster and are best eaten in the first couple of days; make sure they are covered well.

Kaycee Collaborator

Welcome Moondanse.

I think baked goods would last a few days or even a week.

The bread is different, and would probably be at it's best for a day or two. Once the bread is cool enough, I slice and freeze it, just taking out what I need when I need. I do the same with the cookies and muffins etc, as I am the only one who is eating gluten free, and they cost a bit more to make and I don't like the idea of eating it all at once, or worse having to throw stuff out because it has gone off.

Hope this helps.

Cathy

larry mac Enthusiast
.....The bread is different, and would probably be at it's best for a day or two. Once the bread is cool enough, I slice and freeze it, just taking out what I need when I need. I do the same with the cookies and muffins etc....Cathy

kelli,

I agree with Cathy. I put the muffins in small individual baggies, and then all go in a larger freezer bag. In the morning I take one or two out and heat them later at work in the microwave. Two weeks later they're still good & fresh. I basically do the same thing with bread (2 slices to a baggie). I made a loaf recently that stayed fresh for days sitting in a zipper bag on the counter. Appearently that was a fluke 'cause I haven't repeated it yet. Most of the time it will get hard, crumbly, and stale in a day. Mold won't even hardly grow on this stuff.

I'm obviously doing something wrong, but haven't figured it out yet. Mostly I play it safe & freeze it.

BTW, I don't know specifically about gluten-free breads, but I used to work for Frito Lay Research, and bread, chips, and some other food products get stale the fastest in the fridge. Freezer = stays fresh longest. Room temp (and normal humidity) = next freshest. Refridge = loses freshness fastest. The lower temp does retard growth of mold however. But I'd rather have soft bread longer and then throw it away if it gets mold on it (it never lasts that long anyway).

best regards, lm

Kaycee Collaborator
I put the muffins in small individual baggies, and then all go in a larger freezer bag. In the morning I take one or two out and heat them later at work in the microwave. Two weeks later they're still good & fresh. I basically do the same thing with bread (2 slices to a baggie).

Larry mac, that is so much me. Two slices per bag. I tried one slice a bag, but no, not enough.

With the muffins, I free flow freeze them, and then put them in the bags, they don't stick together that way.

I use the large freezer bags too, to put all the little bags in. I've got one for gluten free meats, and another for cakes and muffins and bread. That way at a glance I know what is my food and don't take theres by mistake. This is scary, someone like me! Lol

Cathy

Archived