Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

georgie

Dairy Free Icecream !

My hubbie has just made the most amazing dairy free icecream !!! Its based on Coconut cream !!!! He flavoured it with coffee and rum!! YUMMY !

His blog entry.

Having only recently acquired our ice cream machine, it seemed a bit of a blow that my wife now has to trial a dairy-free diet. Sorbets are fine, but we both prefer the more fatty dish. As a diabetic, I would much rather indulge in something containing protein and fat than just a frozen sugar syrup.

Today's essay in the craft of ices is based on coconut cream, an emulsified form of coconut milk. I figured that emulsified coconut fat might go some way towards recreating the texture of a milk-based ice.

Ingredients

* 400ml can coconut cream

* 125g caster sugar

* 1 egg

* 1 small espresso

* Small shot of Captain Morgan rum

Ingredients are whisked until thoroughly mixed; due to the slighly granular consistency of the finished product, I feel that I may have under-done the whisking a little. Mixture is then introduced into the ice cream machine, which is run until it looks ready.

A quick taste-test whilst transferring to the freezer container was very promising indeed - to me, a better flavour than my milk/cream-based coffee ice cream, but then I am not normally keen on any milk/coffee combination.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.

Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.

Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.

Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.

Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.

News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !

Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Sounds yummy! You can also address the granular issue by first dissolving the sugar in a little of the coconut cream (or even a little water) over low heat.

Hmmm--just saw the egg in the ingredients. Raw egg might not be a good idea if you already have food intolerances. It still sounds yummy, though!

When I was a kid, we used to make ice cream and it was always such a treat. I remember that my mom always cooked the ice cream first, she could not fathom the idea of raw eggs. So, I am wondering if you couldn't heat this first, just enough to cook the egg, then freeze it?

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

When I was a kid, we used to make ice cream and it was always such a treat. I remember that my mom always cooked the ice cream first, she could not fathom the idea of raw eggs. So, I am wondering if you couldn't heat this first, just enough to cook the egg, then freeze it?

Perhaps you could. This is an Italian recipe that he converted. I asked him if it could be done without egg and he said that egg emulsifies(?) the fats and gives texture.He wondered if lecithin would have the same effect but that's often soy based (?) But I have had some recipes were you heat the milk a bit to cook the egg. He was just experimenting with coconut cream instead of milk and cream, and it seemed to work!

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.

Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.

Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.

Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.

Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.

News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !

Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

Can this be made without an ice cream maker?

Try googling "making ice cream without an ice cream maker". There are several sites with info on how to do it.

Debbie

Gluten free since July 97

corn free since Jan 98

Never diagnosed by a Doctor

Symptoms cleared on gluten-free diet

Mom and one sister are also gluten-free

One sister with type I diabetes (diagnosed at age 10)