This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Overwhelmed With Gluten Free Food & Prices

Disney323

Nancym Enthusiast
Dear Tritty,

Really, it is tax deductible? How do you do this? My parents are having a hard time financially with this. Due to my other health issues that still need worked out, it would be good to know.

I have not been able to work a regular job. I have been trying to start a company, but was recently defrauded. Digiworld Technologies has cost me everything I had. I would really appreciate it if you got back to me.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

The accounting and recordkeeping would be a nightmare, hopefully you have a lot of time available to set up a good accounting system and way to keep track of all your receipts. Just go to irs.gov and look for the rules, special forms and all. Oh, and it probably only is available if you spend more than 7.5% of your AGI on it, like other medical expenses.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear Disney323 and Cybermommy,

You guys are so welcome for the lists! Cybermommy, I copied yours into a word document for future reference. There are a lot of people with toddlers on here. We get newbies all the time. This helps save a lot of time and energy! Don't worry Andrea, you can handle this! It is overwhelming, but we will help you!

Dear Nancym,

I will do whatever it takes! Thanks for the tips. I need a lot of testing, because I could have Lyme disease on top of this. The test for that is nearly $400. I have no insurance. If I was able to work and not stuck living with my parents, that would be a different story. My business lost everything. I hope to be able to rebuild, but do not know how or where to start.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

• 11 years later...
Sephira81 Newbie
On 2/23/2007 at 3:26 PM, ptkds said:

I feel the same way as you, especially at first. It is very overwhelming. Especially if your entire family is going gluten-free at home (like mine did). Here are some tips I learned:

Make your own bread. I invested in a good Kitchen aid mixer for bread and pizza dough.

Buy some of Bette Hagman's cookbooks. They are wonderful and I haven't had a recipe fail yet!

Remember that there are alot of gluten-free cereals out there that you don't have to buy special, such as: Cocoa pebbles, Fruity pebbles, Trix, GM's little einsteins, Kaboom, and Dora cereal. There are others, too but I can't think of them right now. I have bought the special cereals, but they are still sitting on top of my fridge. I am scared to use them cuz they cost so much! And my kids like the others that are cheaper!

When I go shopping, this is an example of what I get:

Eggs

MIlk

Cheese

butter

cereal

Yogo's ( my toddler LOVES these!)

peanut buttter

rice

fresh, canned and frozen fruits and veggies

meat (ground beef, chicken, sausage, etc)

OreIda country style hashbrowns

and a few more things.

When my dd's are craving cookies, I use the easiest recipe that I have ever found that uses no special ingredients: 2 c Peanut butter, 2 c sugar, 4 eggs, and a handful of mini chocolate chips. Bake at 350 for around 10 minutes. These taste wonderful and require no special ingredients.

Go to Open Original Shared Link. They sell some great gluten-free items that are hard to find, and they are at a great price. I get xanthan gum for REALLY cheap. I found them on Ebay, not by some internet search for gluten-free foods. They aren't marketed like that.

One of our favorite (and fast) meals is scrambled eggs, sausage, and hashbrowns. Tastes great, no special ingredients, and fast!

Remember that all walmart brands label (food items only) things as being gluten free if they are. This has been very helpful for me.

If you need any more suggestions, just let me know. You can send me a private message through the profile page.

ptkds

What brand of sausage do you use? Are most of them gluten free?? Sorry still new to gluten-free!!!

kareng Grand Master
3 hours ago, Sephira81 said:

What brand of sausage do you use? Are most of them gluten free?? Sorry still new to gluten-free!!!

I don't think that poster has been on the site in a few years.  I am in the US and most all sausage of various types are gluten-free.  Many are even labelled that way.  I understand that it is a bit harder to find gluten-free sausage in Canada or the UK.

Sephira81 Newbie
32 minutes ago, kareng said:

I don't think that poster has been on the site in a few years.  I am in the US and most all sausage of various types are gluten-free.  Many are even labelled that way.  I understand that it is a bit harder to find gluten-free sausage in Canada or the UK.

Thank yoU!!! i wasnt sure about the natural flavorings and any colorings in them. 

kareng Grand Master
1 minute ago, Sephira81 said:

Thank yoU!!! i wasnt sure about the natural flavorings and any colorings in them. 

Open Original Shared Link

pikakegirl Enthusiast

I buy many dried gluten free goods like noodles, crackers and dried fruit in bulk on Amazon since the prices beat the brick and morter grocery. Also found nut butters, honey and teas. Just search gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived