Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nate78

Waiting For Test Results

I took the blood test for celiac at the doctors office 3days ago. I had been eating gluten for about two weeks, I was on diet for 4 weeks prior. I know they say to wait longer. I felt sick enough. I have an appointment in Bloomington, IN with Dr. Bandari's associate. Dr. Pinto. My doctor won't order a biopsy, so I will have to have a consultation with Dr. pinto. He will then schedule a biopsy, If needed. I am sure alot depends on my blood test. I could end up waiting another 5 weeks after that for a biopsy. I would like to avoid that since gluten makes me sick. I would think that since I was diagnosed 24 yrs. ago with celiac, that they would just go ahead and do the biopsy. I want the biopsy soon because I am ready to go on the diet again. I would also like to know how much damage there is if any. Should I have a small bowel series xray. I read that it reveals alot of abnormalities. Has anyone had this is it expensive. How much is a biopsy generally. MY insurance deductable is 3000. I think it will be alot more than that. How long does it take. how long for results.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

nate:

If you were diagnosed 24 years ago. You have Celiac. If your concern is to detect the amount of damage done, a endoscopy would be appropriate, with several biopsies. An upper GI won't detect Celiac, but perhaps some ulcers or blockage.

My colon and endo cost about $3,000. You could save that money and go with a strict gluten free diet and let your body heal itself.

Just a thought...

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

I agree with what Momma Goose said. You were diagnosed once - you have it. I was diagnosed at age 2 (by biopsy), then mistakenly told at age 18 that I didn't have Celiac, then re-diagnosed at age 27, 5 months ago - I had positive bloodwork, and decided not to have another biopsy. I didn't feel I needed confirmation again, and my doctor was ok with that as long as didn't continue to have problems. And I really didn't want to spend that money confirming what I already knew. I would personally just go on the diet - especially if you have to wait that long to get in for a biopsy, and eating gluten for only 2 weeks prior may not be long enough for your bloodwork to come back positive yet. You might as well start getting better today!

Oh, and it took me about a week to get my test results.

Lisa

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page" -St. Augustine