Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beaglemania

I Never Show Symptoms Of Being Glutened

I've been thinking lately and reading topics of people describing of how they feel and their symptoms when their glutened. I just now realize that I don't know if I HAVE any symptoms. I never know if I am glutened or not. I suppose that's probably a bad thing because if I am eating something I'm not supposed to how am I suppose to tell? I never have any problems with my stomach except for one time almost a year ago when I knowingly ate french fries from a non-dedicated fryer. But that's it. I don't really seem to present with any symptoms except I was thinking maybe my symptom is depression because sometimes I get very depressed but I do get really stressed out and I'm just a teenager so I thought its probably just hormones. Anyways I wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this and maybe could help me figure this thing out. Thanks:)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Before I went gluten free, I always had stomach problems, but bread and pasta made up 80% of my diet. Now that I am gluten free I never get sick, even with cross contamination. I don't know if I'll get more sensitive as time goes on, but for now it's a double edged sword. On one hand I have time to get use to being on this diet without getting sick at every error, but I don't know how often I'm making mistakes. I just figure it is what it is and go with it. I live for the most part as if I am super sensitive. I changed all my make-up, lotion, shampoos, and soaps. I use a different cutting board than the family. But I have gluten in the house for my kids, and I eat out, and don't have to worry if the cook grilled my steak on something flour touched.

Your right, the stress and depression could be from the gluten, or from teenage hormones. Just remember even if you don't have symptoms your body is being damaged and that could lead to long term problems.

Good luck

Stomach problems began November of 2005

Gall bladder removed April 2006

Positive Blood test October 2006

Refused endoscope

Gluten-free since January 21, 2007

Positive reaction to diet

The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; Blessed be the name of the Lord. Job 1:21b

I've been thinking lately and reading topics of people describing of how they feel and their symptoms when their glutened. I just now realize that I don't know if I HAVE any symptoms. I never know if I am glutened or not. I suppose that's probably a bad thing because if I am eating something I'm not supposed to how am I suppose to tell? I never have any problems with my stomach except for one time almost a year ago when I knowingly ate french fries from a non-dedicated fryer. But that's it. I don't really seem to present with any symptoms except I was thinking maybe my symptom is depression because sometimes I get very depressed but I do get really stressed out and I'm just a teenager so I thought its probably just hormones. Anyways I wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this and maybe could help me figure this thing out. Thanks:)

For the first six months I couldn't tell if I'd been glutened or not, and then it started being obvious and now when I do I'm down for the count for three days. Maybe it depends on how long it's been that you've been gluten-free?

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Hi,

Yes, it is hard without clear symptoms... me too.

Once I cut out gluten, the chronic C & D stopped and GI symptoms stopped (so it was pretty clear that gluten was a factor). However, now if I have a little gluten there is no major reaction.... (so far that I can tell, though have some other food problems to get sorted out)... so hard to tell...

My take, is do your human best to exclude gluten and cc, and live with knowing you are doing your best. Try not to fall into the trap that because you don't react obviously you cheat (I have been having issues with this... but obviously it will complicate the other stuff). Be glad that you don't have major debilitating symptoms like some on this board do with even a little cc.

Have a great day.

Sally

Sally

Aussie living in Philippines, Manager, Triathlete, Mum to 2 dogs, 2 cats & fish

___________________________________________________________________________________

Hypothyroid, diag. 2000, desicated thryoid 3 grains + T4 50 mcg.

Pituitary adenoma, 2002 - no treatment (no followup yet)

Polycystic, 2000 - no treatment

IBD by biopsy - end 2006 (cause not investigated)

Suspected Gluten intolerant/celiac - not diagnosed

Gluten Free - start Dec 06 (big improvement in tummy troubles, though still not 100%..)

Allergies suspected to Rice, Mango, Chicken, some fish (though testing)... still trying to work it all out.

What specifically made you wonder if you might have celiac disease?

Keep in mind that the majority of people with celiac disease are what is called "silent celiac". Meaning no observable symptoms, certainly no digestive issues. You just may be in this group.

CAROLE

-------------

Enterolab 1/2006

IgA & tTg Positive

DQ2-0201 (celiac) and DQ1-0604 (gluten)

Casein IgA positive

Mom has 2 celiac genes

Both kids have a celiac gene.

Lots of celiac disease in my family, both sides.

What specifically made you wonder if you might have celiac disease?

Keep in mind that the majority of people with celiac disease are what is called "silent celiac". Meaning no observable symptoms, certainly no digestive issues. You just may be in this group.

I know I'm in this group but I wasn't sure my symptoms would be silent too. I have osteoporosis and that's how I found out. Funny, huh? Not many people expect a teenager to have osteoporosis!!! But I'm getting better with the diet and a range of medications. I'm in osteopenia range now.

Our 6yo Daughter is one of those "Silent Celiacs" -- at least in terms of physical discomfort.

She's been gluten-free for about 4 months now. And I am starting to be able to tell when she has been

glutened. She gets incredibly irritable, mopey (depression?) and unhappy. Then these

outward emotions subside in about 4-6 hours. So I wouldn't rule out your emotions as

just being hormonal. It very well could be gluten affecting your overall well-being.

My mom was dx'd Celiac in her 80's after a life time of stomach troubles. I am fine however.

2nd daughter born in 2000

An agitated kid since birth, non-compliant attitude, dx'd with PDDNOS in 2003, ADHD in 2006

Had ongoing facial rash since 2004 -- tested for Lupus -- negative, discovered a high antibody count.

Never complained of stomach ache

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Bob Loblaw
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):