Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jacqui

Skin

Hi, my name is Jacqui and I am very Forum illiterate, so I hope this is a good spot to post this question.

I have noticed for maybe a month or so that as soon as I get in the shower my skin around my toenails and fingernails prunes instantly as if I have been in a bath for hours! I also went to take nail polish off and one of my toe nails just came off! There was barely a sliver left! I am using some medicine thinking it is a build up of is it, keratin? Both my second toes have this problem the others are fine. Well, except for the one nail just coming off. They are not discolored as in yellow, green or black like they show in the pic on the box. They are a lil' ridgid but not all.

As for the finger nails, most of them have small black "streaks" here and there. I just did a treatment (I already had to spots) using Nail Tek to strengthen my weak peeling finger nails and they are a lot stronger, BUT I still have the spots.

Does or did anyone experience this before?

Is it related to celiac?

Thanks,

Jacqui

IBS 1994

Endometriosis

Hashimoto's auto immune disease

Diverticulosis

Celiac disease April 2006 - neuro symptoms I am assuming from celiac disease

HLA DQ 2 (celiac disease) and HLA DQ 6 (GS) either way my parents made sure I had something!

Insomnia

Hyperflexibility

Daughter 6 y/o (5 at diagnosis) celiac disease via labs (all >100) and flattened biopsy. NO symptoms!!

Daughter 8 y/o with BM ="C" since birth and breast fed, osteopenia, SEVERE eczema up to 5 y/o, now on and off (-) via labs and biopsy. HLA DQ 2 and HLA DQ 8! and possibly ADHD.

Son 3 y/o also HLADQ2 AND DQ 8! Negative panel

Husband MEXICAN and he has DQ 8! His family refuses all and anything with celiac disease, same with his PCP!

"What doesn't kill us makes us stronger..." Right? I think that's the saying.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

There was a recent thread involving fingernails, and how the problems you describe are signs of vitamin B12 deficiency. It it often suggested to take a sublingual methylcobalamin supplement. Many (including myself) have found quite an improvement from this.

Just be sure the product you select specifies gluten-free. Freeda and Source Naturals are two brands which have gluten-free B12 in various forms.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

There was a recent thread involving fingernails, and how the problems you describe are signs of vitamin B12 deficiency. It it often suggested to take a sublingual methylcobalamin supplement. Many (including myself) have found quite an improvement from this.

Just be sure the product you select specifies gluten-free. Freeda and Source Naturals are two brands which have gluten-free B12 in various forms.

Hi and thank you for responding. I really appreciate it! I am going to send this to my e-mail so hopefully I will not forget.

I was thinking a long that line too, but my B-12 in November was ~565, so it was within the norm, but is that the norm for normal? Did that make sense? Is that # good for a celiac or do we need more?Thank you! By the way do you know how much a celiac should take of B12?

I believe another person on the forum said we need magnesium too, so do you or anyone know what should be taken?

I have Costco Kirkland brand energy vitamin packs, which states "Gluten Free" on the outside of box and then I was going to take GNC's Women's Ultra Mega Energy VitaPak, which also states on the outside of the box "No art. colors, no wheat, no gluten, no dairy, yeast free". This pack has:

B-12 80 mcg %Daily value 1333%

Magnesium Oxide 250 mg %Daily value 63%

It does not have iron or iodine, I do not know why.

Adios,

Jacqui

IBS 1994

Endometriosis

Hashimoto's auto immune disease

Diverticulosis

Celiac disease April 2006 - neuro symptoms I am assuming from celiac disease

HLA DQ 2 (celiac disease) and HLA DQ 6 (GS) either way my parents made sure I had something!

Insomnia

Hyperflexibility

Daughter 6 y/o (5 at diagnosis) celiac disease via labs (all >100) and flattened biopsy. NO symptoms!!

Daughter 8 y/o with BM ="C" since birth and breast fed, osteopenia, SEVERE eczema up to 5 y/o, now on and off (-) via labs and biopsy. HLA DQ 2 and HLA DQ 8! and possibly ADHD.

Son 3 y/o also HLADQ2 AND DQ 8! Negative panel

Husband MEXICAN and he has DQ 8! His family refuses all and anything with celiac disease, same with his PCP!

"What doesn't kill us makes us stronger..." Right? I think that's the saying.

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    kberry01529
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Who's Online (See full list)