Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sarahelizabeth

Chronic Ear Infections?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes Hunter got his first set of tubes at 11 mths. THey just fell out 4 mths ago. ( He hasnt grown much) And they just put his second set in about a month ago. He had 4 double ear infections in 3 mths. So maybe it does go together.

April L. In NY

w/ Hunter 4 DX by biopsy on his 3rd B-day 7-28-06

Douglas 6, Gluten Intolerant, Biopsy Neg.

Virginia 10, tested neg.

And the hubby.

I used to get ear infections a few years ago, once went nearly deaf for two weeks. Haven't had that problem since going gluten-free.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My daughter and I found our ear infections were linked to dairy allergies. No more dairy, and no more infections for me. She has had one infection in 3 years. She used to have them almost all the time.

My Celiac son had his first tubes at 8 months and a new set almost every year. They finally put in permanent ones when he was 11 and one of those has come out already and we are just keeping a check. Very interesting!

I have always had a lot of sinus/ear problems. Haven't had an infection since going gluten free. Dairy also is a big player in this for me. I have very bad allergies (3 shots a week) and I think celiac just adds to that with ongoing inflammation and compromised immune system.

My sister had been told she had Meniere's disease for several years before she was diagnosed. She, had lots of balance/vertigo problems as well as actual dysfunction in her ears. So I think there's definitely a connection with the ear itself too. Though I don't think there have been many studies to help us understand why.

Gluten-Free since February 2006

Don't know if this will help you, but my friend's daughter was allergic to dairy, and her only symptom was constant ear infections. The doctor was ready to put tubes in or keep her on CONSTANT low-dose antibiotics for a year when my friend decided to try a naturopath, who recommended elimiinating dairy.

Poof! No more ear infections.

What was interesting, though, was when we were traveling in Europe on business (we bring our kids), she ran out of soy milk, gave her daughter regular milk, and no ear infection! So she thought she'd outgrown it--until she returned to the US--instant ear infection upon drinking milk.

We think it might have something to do with the antibiotics, hormones, and pesticides in milk in the US. I don't think she tried organic milk, though. I think she just gave up on dairy altogether.