Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):


Join eNewsletter


Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):



Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

splitinheadache

New Study On Rice And Arsenic Poisoning

Recommended Posts

Eat lots of broccoli to counteract the rice ;)


Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004

Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003

Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear RiceGuy,

Thank you for posting the flour mixture info! I have that in a Word document now. It is important to have such an example. This helps when trying to come up with your own ratios! It can be very frustrating trying to put them together without something to give you a bit of guidance!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl


Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000

Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative

Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.

Thyroid Disease - August 2004

Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dear corinne, gfp, and RiceGuy,

This is fascinating information! Thank you for the links, gfp! I know arsenic is present in our drinking water here. I doubt it is organic, though. We also have an abnormally high cancer rate in this area. I am worried right now, since our water purification system broke, I have had to drink tap water. My body does not need anymore poison in it! Chlorine is not healthy, either.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

NoGluGirl.. check the links onthe USGS.... they provide a lot of free information...!

Chlorine might not be great but typhoid is much worse..... I know because I got it from untreated drinking water...

If people want piped water to their houses in a country as big as America then I think some compromises have to be made...

Remember 3/4 of the word don't even have access to clean drinking water at all!


Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NoGluGirl.. check the links onthe USGS.... they provide a lot of free information...!

Chlorine might not be great but typhoid is much worse..... I know because I got it from untreated drinking water...

If people want piped water to their houses in a country as big as America then I think some compromises have to be made...

Remember 3/4 of the word don't even have access to clean drinking water at all!

Chlorine is a necessary part of our water treatment, otherwise it would be very unsafe to drink tap water. If you let the tap water sit for 24 hours, however, chlorine will gas off. The tap water in our area is treated with chloramine (chlorine and ammonia) and does not readily gas off. I'm a little concerned about the effects of that, along with other components of our tap water, so I choose to drink bottled water.

Michelle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear gfp and Michi8,

OMG gfp! :o Typhoid is horrible! I am so sorry you had to suffer with that. :( I will be sure to check out that information you mentioned. I understand it is necessary to use chlorine, but my concern is it is bad for my body. You see, I have difficulty detoxing. Right now, many things are poison to my body that are not to others'. I drink bottled water whenever possible. However, even it has its risks. There is a microorganism that even the water filter cannot remove. This thing is a parasite, and make people ill. I cannot recall the name of it, but I wonder if that is what is making some of the people on the forum sick when they drink bottled water. That would make sense. What do you guys think?

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl


Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985

Asthma - 1994

Ovarian Cyst - May 1999

Anemia - 2000

4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000

Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative

Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy

Fibromyalgia - June 2001

IBS - June 2001

Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.

Thyroid Disease - August 2004

Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dear gfp and Michi8,

OMG gfp! :o Typhoid is horrible! I am so sorry you had to suffer with that. :( I will be sure to check out that information you mentioned. I understand it is necessary to use chlorine, but my concern is it is bad for my body. You see, I have difficulty detoxing. Right now, many things are poison to my body that are not to others'. I drink bottled water whenever possible. However, even it has its risks. There is a microorganism that even the water filter cannot remove. This thing is a parasite, and make people ill. I cannot recall the name of it, but I wonder if that is what is making some of the people on the forum sick when they drink bottled water. That would make sense. What do you guys think?

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Are you referring to cryptosporidium? It is resistant to chlorine, but it can be removed from the water, and you shouldn't be finding it in bottled water...if it is found there, then there are some serious problems with how the water is treated and bottled. Otherwise, cryptosporidium can be killed through boiling the water. You can find more info here: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/cr...sporidiosis.htm

Michelle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Copied and pasted from another thread but I think it's more relevant here:
"Ah. Yay. Someone else has asked this!
I feel like as soon as I get comfortable with this diet and find my feet someone links me to stuff like this (was shown all the arsenic stuff yesterday and I remained surprisingly calm... until now, when out of curiousity I read the labels of things I no longer check because I know they're gluten-free and they ALL contain rice syrup etc. and I eat so much rice and...argh.)...
I don't think I can cope with removing or even lowering rice right now but I can't shut off the part of my brain that feels I might regret that when it turns out long term low levels do cause damage :( ...

I eat healthily on this gluten-free diet but I still feel 'less healthy' than I did with sourdough wheat etc. and that's my own personal neuroses that I've been battling in the form of embracing white rice and potatoes etc. which my body actually LOVES and helps keeps calories up. This rice scare is just another thing I could become paranoid about and I jumped online looking for someone to rationally tell me it doesn't matter but all the sites I've found seem to feel it does..."



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a biogeochemist and I specialize in arsenic analysis. I focus on algae, but I have done some analysis of foods including rice. Almost all foods contain some arsenic. One poster asked about other grains. All grains can contain arsenic. Plants accumulate arsenic from the soil they are grown in. I'll be doing some fieldwork in a high arsenic area this summer and it might be interesting to collect some corn from farms in the area. Drinking water also has arsenic and the levels vary depending on where you live. Seafood, particularly, shrimp, clams etc. is very high in arsenic, but this is organic arsenic. Unlike organic mercury, organic arsenic is non-toxic. The other thing to keep in mind is that arsenic does not bioaccumulate, unlike mercury. It will be found in hair, but it doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier. The main problem with inorganic arsenic is that it increases the risk of stomach and skin cancer.

It doesn't bioaccumulate? So does that mean that bits each day are ok and it won't add up over time?
This one little post may have saved my sanity. Thankyou so much...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites