This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Biopsy?

jambo massive

jambo massive Apprentice

I am waiting for a appoinment to have a Biopsy after being ill in hospital. even tho i had a couple when i was young and was postive to have celiac. Is it important to have one?? as i read in a topic that i could get help with food cost's?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest j_mommy

It's a personal opinion to have one. The blood tests are really enough!!! I had positive blood tests and reguardless of what my biopsy says (May 15) I'm still going gluten free. If you do have one...insist that they take multiple samples b/c celiac can effect villi in one area and not another.

You can get a tax write off with this disease. But you have to spend a significant amount of money. On my income(I'm a single mom, one income family, I rent) I would have to spend $7,500. And it's the diffrence between the reg food and gluten free. So say reg bread is 2 a loaf and celiac is 5....you could deduct 3. But you'd have to meet teh minimum befor eyou could deduct anything. It helps if you own your own home and itemize. Sorry my mom's an account and we've discussed this!LOL I don't make enough or qualify for this deduction!

aikiducky Apprentice

If you were diagnosed by a biopsy with celiac as a child, you are celiac. The old diagnosis would still be valid, since celiac is a life long disease that doesn't go away.

There might be something to be said for doing a biopsy now to see how much damage there is maybe.

I'm very sorry that you have been sick. It's too bad no one knew to tell you that you should have been gluten free all this time. I hope you'll recover quickly, but don't get too worried if it takes a while. If you have been eating gluten for many years, it will take some time for your body to recover from that.

Pauliina

VydorScope Proficient

Strictly speaking you NEED food, shelter, and clothing. Beyond that everything a choice (with consequences of course!) . :)

But no, you do not need another biopsy. You already have a DX of celiac disease so there is nothing to be gained UNLESS they are looking for something else also.

happygirl Collaborator

If you were already positive for Celiac via biopsy, you have the gold standard of diagnosis. You are and have been a Celiac.

nikki-uk Enthusiast
I am waiting for a appoinment to have a Biopsy after being ill in hospital. even tho i had a couple when i was young and was postive to have celiac. Is it important to have one?? as i read in a topic that i could get help with food cost's?

It is true that in the UK you need biopsy proof to be eligable for prescription gluten-free foods BUT surely your old notes would show you had a positive biopsy as a kid?? Once a coeliac - always a coeliac. :)

jambo massive Apprentice
It is true that in the UK you need biopsy proof to be eligable for prescription gluten-free foods BUT surely your old notes would show you had a positive biopsy as a kid?? Once a coeliac - always a coeliac. :)

Yea that is true but i have moved away from my old town and since living in birmingham i can not find a GP yet im going through out patients in the local hospital. Hopefully next week i will be able to find a GP.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Yea that is true but i have moved away from my old town and since living in birmingham i can not find a GP yet im going through out patients in the local hospital. Hopefully next week i will be able to find a GP.

You should be able to access those records even after moving. Have you contacted your old doctors? If you are unable to for some reason, in the US we have a legal right to copies of all records but don't know if it is the same in UK, make sure you have your new GP contact and get the records. They should be able to get them if you can't.

Archived