Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

confused

My 0301 Gene Friends

Ok you all know how i have benn researching celiac genes. Well i emailed enterolab about my thoughts and ideas of 0301 and this is what they told me.

Response: Dear Paula, Thank you for your correspondence. We actually have all of our DQ3 gene results checked for ambiguities when they are being run initially, so there is very little chance that the result is incorrect. It is quite possible to test positive for Celiac Disease with an 0301 gene and without a DQ2 or DQ8. The 0301 also sometimes acts like a Celiac gene, according to Dr. Fine's research. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Sincerely, Phyllis Zermeno, RN, BSN Clinical Manager

What do you all think?

Does this just prove that there are more genes that are celiac?

Or does this mean many of us with 0301 do indeed have celiac?

paula

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Serious researchers have said for years that they have only found two celiac disease genes this far, but there are likely more. For any doctors to claim that you can't have celiac disease unless you have the DQ2 or DQ8 is just ignorance on their part.

You can absolutely have celiac disease with genes other than the ones officially recognized at this point.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Paula

Thats exactly what they told me yesterday when I called EnterLabs.

This is very interesting.

Ursa I agree.

Does anyone knows of any ungoing research on this matter?????

Pedro

Have not I commanded you? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with you every where you go.

Jos 1:9

I can do all things thru Christ which strengtheneth me.

Phi 4:13

Blood Test: Negative 03/2006

Biopsy Negative 04/2006

Stopped gluten-free diet 04/2006

EnteroLabs: Positive 04/2007

Fecal Antigliadin IgA "Positive"

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA "Positive"

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score "Positive"

Fecal anti-casein (cow

Only something like 50% of the human genome has been figured out (as to what they do). There are some new recent advances though that should be turning up some very interesting things.

What's going to be even more interesting is proteinomics, that is discovering the proteins that these genes code for. :P

I have seen several articles which have been accepted in peer-revieved publications, by Dr. Hadjivassiliou, that 20% of the gluten ataxia patients (who also had Ttg andtibodies and some other immunological markers bedause of gluten) have DQ1.

And there is something about DQ7 too some other places.

http://intimm.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/12/8/1157 here is something about DQ9 and celiac.

see also http://fileblogs.com/Understanding-the-Gen...p;article_28582

nora

gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.

daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.

non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5

Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet

Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

I'm a bit ignorant of all the gene information, so please excuse me. My son has double DQ3, subtype 7. Is this the same as DQ7? (I think it is.) I also have at least one copy of this gene, but don't know what my other one is.

My son's main symptoms are behavioral - teacher wanted him tested for ADD, he went gluten-free and now is an honor student in middle school. He's like Jekyl and Hyde - we ALWAYS know when he's eaten gluten by his behavior. He also has some GI issues - mostly constipation and horrible gas.

I had GI issues (IBS), arthritis (gone now), hypothyroid (actually getting better), still have psoriasis and have a kidney disease that's completely in remission.

It always frustrates me when I read that I can't possibly have Celiac Disease because I don't have DQ2 or 8. I'm "only" gluten intolerant, which in no way describes the severity of symptoms I have when I eat gluten.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

Hi Paula

Thats exactly what they told me yesterday when I called EnterLabs.

This is very interesting.

Ursa I agree.

Does anyone knows of any ungoing research on this matter?????

Pedro

I personally think the reason the research is slow in coming is because there just isn't a lot of money to be made. Except for the discovery of a wonder drug that will honestly shut off the gluten intolerant gene without worse side effects, we celiacs aren't customers for much else once we have ourselves under control. The big drug and medical money demands projects that will give them a return on their investments. Government money tends to favor the established medical protocols.

Anyone who dares study us outside the box has to just plain care about all of us whether they make any money from it or not. And those kind souls are hard to find.

Even Dr. Fine is frequently criticized and scrutinized for running a lab that 'charges' for tests at the same time he is doing his studies. I suspect much of the money goes back into his research and all the sample results are necessary for data. If the guy makes a few bucks on the side for his brilliance, I think he deserves it.

If the DQ7 turns out to be one of the celiac genes than my family is all double celiac genes. I have the DQ7 and so does my daughter....along with a celiac gene.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

About the research: I am in the country of the reseachers Lundin and Sollid (they were at the New York Conference last fall). I was gene tested at their lab. They reused to tell me which DQ type I had, only answered DQ2 and DQ8 negative. I phoned the lab and a lasy answerd that they maybe could tell if I am DQ3, but to ask my doctor to contact them (which of course means they can tell me more or she would have told me tehy can't) wrote back to doctor and printed out some stufffrom the net, but when I had been there before, he pulled out the article b y Lundin where he goes into detail about DQ2 and 8 and telles me that I cannot be celiac unless I am DQ2 or 8. He obviously has not read any other stuff...

All the money from the research here came from the celiac sosiety and they gor it from the money the lottey company has to give away. I have seen all the numbers. It is not very much, but probably only enough for DQ2 and DQ8.....

Here is another abstract about non-DQ2 or 8:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...l=pubmed_docsum

Maybe the Japanese will do some research as DQ2 is very rare there.

"In addition to celiac disease, several studies have shown that the DQ8, and to a lesser extent the DQ2, allele is linked to the occurrence of particular autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis and juvenile (type 1) diabetes mellitus (14

gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.

Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet

Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

Thanks for all the information that has been presented here. I find it all fascniating and makes me want to keep looking for more information.

I sit here and think will we ever have an definite answer to what genes are linked to celiac, or are many just going to be tested for 2 and 8, and think cause they dont have those genes that they are fine, when in fact they do have an gene for celiac. Are people going to have to go 20m 30, 50 more years without being diagnosed cause doctors say they dont have either of the 2 genes. I just sit here and think how many people have been tested, not had the gene and are still eating gluten and killing themselves. It just makes me so mad.

paula

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

My daughter refused the gene test, and got a diagnosis because of the dictinct symptoms and the drastic improvement off gluten. even her graves antibodies just disappeared after going gluten-free. (but the TPO antibodies did not).

I did test negative for DQ2 or 8, so might she...she might not have gotten a diagnosis if she would have accepted the gene test and tested negative too......It would have been IBS or allergy or something.

we must have one or more of the other gluten-sensitive genes (which are really anything besides DQ4, which is only found in the far east and in Southern Africa anyway....)

nora

Well, if DQ7 is also Celiac, then I have to be extra careful, lol. I have DQ8 and DQ7. I planned to stay off gluten for life anyway, but was hoping that I would some day be able to be less concerned about cross contamination issues once the other major health factors were taken care of and my gut had a chance to heal.

That would also mean that both my kids and my husband, and a bunch of people in his family, would have it too.

I've got two copies of DQ1, subtype 6 (0602 and 0609).

My kids have one each of my genes - daughter has 0609 and son has 0602, plus they both have the 0301, which has made me wonder if my husband has two copies of 0301.

I think it won't be too long (as in within a decade) until DQ3 and DQ1 are considered celiac genes. It wouldn't take a researcher more than a week of visiting here to determine that there is strong evidence to support that, but we all know how slowly these things go.

I think that once the Genetic Information Non-Descrimination Act is passed, http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...&hl=genetic a lot of us will feel more comfortable coming forward to doctors and researchers with information and personal experience based on our gene types.

Nancy

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb