This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Thyroid Results Back

Babygirl6915

Babygirl6915 Explorer

Ok, I got my Lab results from my Thyroid/PCOS tests from LAST YEAR finally. The doctor kept saying I didn

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

georgie Enthusiast
TSH- 1.80 (0.40-5.50)

T-4 (Free) - 1.1 (0.8-1.8)

TSH looks a bit high. Good Thyroid Drs start to become suspicious of HypoThyroid when TSH is greater than 2 , and you are near to that. I notice your lab is using the old range. Have you read about the TSH Wars and the new ranges ?

Open Original Shared Link

FT4 is a bit low. What was the Free T3 or wasn't that tested :rolleyes: Were Thyroid Antibodies tested ? You can be HypoThyroid with an autoimmune disease of the Thyroid and have an absolutely perfect looking TSH. Once you have Thyroid Antibodies show up - the TSH test is even more useless than it is normally. You need to test the Frees and Antibodies for Autoimmune Thyroid. Open Original Shared Link

Autoimmune Thyroiditis is often linked to Celiac , which is also autoimmune.

I would go back to your Dr and ask why all the Thyroid tests have not been done, and ask for them to be redone properly. Open Original Shared Link

And read up about autoimmune HypoThyroid

Good luck ! You are not alone in your fight. An International Thyroid Patient Organisation has been started now - to fight thyroid mistreatment like this. Imagine - tens of thousands of people all speaking with one voice ! Thousands of Drs as well to support us and work with us side by side to make changes !And it has started ! Things are moving in the Thyroid world.

Ksmith Contributor

You look hypo to me. Do you feel hypothyroid? You should get free T3 test and antibodies for a more comprehensive look. Then maybe post them here in the Labs section:

www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/community

and take a look here:

www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

Good luck and take care!

~K

EDIT: Sorry Georgie, I just read what you wrote...we said the same thing!

Babygirl6915 Explorer

Thanks you guys for the input! My family doctor has been telling me that I am either hypo or PCOS for years but wont do anything about it. She just keeps recommending I see all these other doctors who tell me NOTHING IS WRONG I JUST NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT & possibly see a shrink for my anxiety attacks! :blink: *calms down* Anyways, I read like a text book case on both Hypo & PCOS. Also shortly after these problems presented my food allergies came about. I can't help but think one caused/contributed to the other. It is just frustrating! <_< I have been at this doctor to doctor to doctor game for almost 4 years & nothing. I have to keep trying but its just frustrating...... Especially since the "Endo God" who I got these test results from said there was nothing wrong with me & didn't even test for everything he should have! :angry:

Kottemamman Apprentice

There is also a lot of good information on Open Original Shared Link . I can also recommend Mary Shomon

georgie Enthusiast
EDIT: Sorry Georgie, I just read what you wrote...we said the same thing!

:lol: Have you signed the Petitions yet ? If you google search International Hormone Society you should find it. A UK Dr needs our help before July 2 when his court case starts. Would you believe the 'authorities' have taken his license away for doing correct Thyroid treatment ??? The authorities would rather have us stay sick then get well ??? Huh ? :blink:

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I mentioned to my new doc that thyroid seemed to be a problem for me and she says--all is within range. I asked her which range she goes by. She says, "There is only one range, TSH .40-5.50!" She would not even discuss new ranges. Got a look on her face that said, I am done discussing this!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

loraleena Contributor

Ditto everything Georgie said. All my tests were normal except the thyroid peroxidase antibodies. You must get these tested. They should be under 20. The TSH range has been changed for about 3 years!! The range .3-3.0. Your doc is clueless. Time for another one I guess. Any doc that can't admit that they are not always right is not one to go to.

Was the adrenal testing by blood? This is very innacurate. You need to get the 4x day saliva test. You can order it from Great Smokies Labs.

Babygirl6915 Explorer

Ok, I am going to give this guy one more chance since he said he would order whatever blood test I wanted to I am going to request everything on the site that was recommended at the top. But all the ranges are put on the results by LabCorp not my doctor. I will point out to him that these are outdated ranges & see if that does anything but I am tired of getting new doctors! Grrr...... *calms down* But I will if I have to! Thanks for all your help!!! I will post again next week when my results come back. Even if he won't help me I can always take my result with me to someone who will!

georgie Enthusiast

Keep trying Jessica, Sooner or later you will find a good Dr. I gave up many times in my 30 years of sickness - as every Dr I saw refused to believe me. Its only after I could no longer swallow food, and that I read stopthethyroidmadness - did I realise that more than 10 Drs, 2 Endos had all been WRONG ! I then went to 3 more Drs last year and on the 3rd try - found a Dr that also had Hashimotos Thyroid, and knew what to do. Don't give up !

georgie Enthusiast

Deb - sounds like that Dr is not suitable for you.... :blink:

Nevadan Contributor

I second&third all the recommendations on far in this thread, particularly the stopthethyroidmaddness website. I've just discovered that I am, and probably have been for years, hypothyroid. Here's my case history in case it helps anyone else deal with this problem.

I first became aware when last Fall I started feeling cold all the time and my hair started thinning significantly. When I Googled these symptoms fortuanately I found the STTM website and after looking at the hypothyroid symptoms list discovered a few more that I had had for years (e.g. dry itchy skin around my ankles, constipation, osteoporosis). I checked my body temp and found that I was running around 96F instead of 98.6F. I trooped off to my family doctor and told him what I had found - he proceeded to take one look at my TSH (0.9) and almost laughed at the idea I could be hypothyroid even though my total T3 (not free T3) was at the very lower boundary of the normal range.

Next stop was another dr who was much more interested in how I felt instead of what my labs said. He agreed that my labs didn't look too hypo-like, but agreed that the symptoms sure sounded like hypoT, so he agreed to prescribe a very small dose of Armour Thyroid (my request) to see if anything improved. Within a week my body temp had increased at least 1 degree, so he continued to increase the dose very slowly (15mg/month) until now I'm at 90 mg with my body temp consistently in the lower 98F range and many of the symptoms resolved. My great hope is that the calcitonin in the Armour Thyroid meds will improve my bone density.

After researching the heck out of hypoT, I've concluded that I probably have a rather rare form of hypoT caused by pituitary insufficiency which accounts for the low'ish TSH and low T3.

The moral of my story is do as much research as you can, do as much self-dx'ing as you can, don't give up, be willing to change dr's, and don't rely on TSH. TSH may work for many people, but it sure doesn't work for all.

I hope someone finds this helpful.

georgie Enthusiast
Next stop was another dr who was much more interested in how I felt instead of what my labs said. He agreed that my labs didn't look too hypo-like, but agreed that the symptoms sure sounded like hypoT, so he agreed to prescribe a very small dose of Armour Thyroid (my request) to see if anything improved

Bingo! This is it! And onto my soapbox now but do you think you could sign a International Petition to say this ? There is a Dr in UK that has lost his license for doing just as you said. His Trial starts July2. The petition ( which is independent of this Dr - BTW ) is a great way to help him. So many Drs are scared to treat patients like this as they are being told not to - by Authorities. International Hormone Society is trying to help the Drs that help us. And we need to help IHS as well as they are fighting for our rights.

Nevadan Contributor
:lol: Have you signed the Petitions yet ? If you google search International Hormone Society you should find it.

Done!

KarenDianne Newbie

I'm been offline for a few days and I'm catching up. Obviously someone here must be a nurse/dr/PA... My recent labs read RDW 14.4 (norms 11.0-14.0) and the dr. said my dose is a bit too high (because my gut is absorbing better now and I've lost 19 pounds) so to cut out one Synthroid a week...for now. This surprised me somewhat...I understand that my BP meds have been decreased because of my weight loss. Doctor says I've overmedicated now. Interesting talk in this thread about thyroid....honestly can't remember if I'm hypo or hyper...I take .05 mg a day, which is low, so I thought. So why am I told to even take less? Guess I don't understand throid disease. My goiter is huge, people often comment on it because it's so visible, but the dr. says everything is normal and not to worry about it. Your comments are appreciated. I'll try to sign on tomorrow to hear what you have to say. ALSO, my labs say under "Chemistry" that my GFR is low. Norms are 59-180. Mine is 53. What is this and what does it mean - anyone know? Thanks very much! It's so great the way everyone takes care of each other here and is so supportive. KarenDianne

TSH looks a bit high. Good Thyroid Drs start to become suspicious of HypoThyroid when TSH is greater than 2 , and you are near to that. I notice your lab is using the old range. Have you read about the TSH Wars and the new ranges ?

FT4 is a bit low. What was the Free T3 or wasn't that tested :rolleyes: Were Thyroid Antibodies tested ? You can be HypoThyroid with an autoimmune disease of the Thyroid and have an absolutely perfect looking TSH. Once you have Thyroid Antibodies show up - the TSH test is even more useless than it is normally. You need to test the Frees and Antibodies for Autoimmune Thyroid. Open Original Shared Link

Autoimmune Thyroiditis is often linked to Celiac , which is also autoimmune.

I would go back to your Dr and ask why all the Thyroid tests have not been done, and ask for them to be redone properly. Open Original Shared Link

And read up about autoimmune HypoThyroid

Good luck ! You are not alone in your fight. An International Thyroid Patient Organisation has been started now - to fight thyroid mistreatment like this. Imagine - tens of thousands of people all speaking with one voice ! Thousands of Drs as well to support us and work with us side by side to make changes !And it has started ! Things are moving in the Thyroid world.

georgie Enthusiast
So why am I told to even take less? Guess I don't understand throid disease. My goiter is huge, people often comment on it because it's so visible, but the dr. says everything is normal and not to worry about it. Your comments are appreciated.

Many Drs don't understand thyroid disease either as their training is flawed and influenced by drug companies. Its never normal to have a Goitre. Is it getting bigger ? My Goitre and nodules have disappeared on Armour Thyroid. You might want to ask your Dr for a trial of Armour to see if that helps. Sounds like your Dr is obssessed with blood tests and is refusing to consider symptoms. www.stopthethyroidmadness.com explains a lot. Many old books and thinking Drs support using symptoms as a dx tool. You may need to change Drs.

Have you signed the Petitions yet ? If you google search International Hormone Society you should find it.

Done!

Thankyou! Its our best chance of helping these good Drs, and encouraging more to do the same. Many want to help us, but are being restricted by the Authorities. If a Dr has 10000s of healthy patients and is using knowledge that is based on Broda Barnes , Hertoghe etc- he should be free to do so without fear of losing his license. www.thyroiduk.org has the story of Dr Skinner on its front page. We need to fight this. This could be our Dr next!

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Georgie, I signed the petition too. :)

georgie Enthusiast
Georgie, I signed the petition too
Thankyou thankyou. I know this Dr is genuine and the site he has started is for all of us. He is a 4th generation Endo, and his great grandfather pioneered Armour back in 1890. My Dr has been to his conferences, has his books, uses his ideals. I know that over 700 Drs around the world have now joined in this as well. Its a wonderful idea. There is a free newsletter about to start worldwide too. Not sure that I can post it here but if you PM me - can send you the link. :) :) :)

Archived