This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

13 Weeks Pregnant- Not Sure If Celiac

Ali Arizona

Ali Arizona Newbie

Hi everyone-

I am new here. iw as dx with IBS many years ago and then with hashimotos Thyroidosis last year. I had a m/c after my dx and am now pregnant again. After my m/c in December 06 i did a tone of research that showed some links between Hashimotos and Celeiac Disease. i asked me dr. to test me and he said no so i startred a gluten-free diet and have been on it ever since. My pregnancy has been great this time and thyroid - perfect levels. My question "If i bring gluten back into my diet will I hurt my baby? Will i have a reaction that will indicate that i truly do i gluten senstive? I am willing to do anything to have healthy baby but if i don't have to gluten free I don't want to be. if i intruduced gluten slowly in my diet, could i get a new dr. to test me ( I know I should have done that before)? Or if you were me would you just stick out the gluten free diet and then get tested after the baby is born. Thanks for your help!

Ali

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

alamaz Collaborator

Definitely stick to the gluten-free diet right now. If you start to add back in gluten and you do react then you are putting your body and your baby under stress. Many people on these boards say the diet is good enough with out a diagnosis. If you try and the diet and things turn around as they did in your case, stay on the diet. The definition here for IBS is "I Be Stumped" it is not a realy disease, just a name the doctors give to patients who they don't know what is wrong with them. IMO, get a new doctor who would not refuse to test you for a disease that you have so many symptoms of! Otherwise, stick to the diet, have a wonderfully healthy pregnancy and congratulations!

Phyllis28 Apprentice

In my opinion take no chances, stick to the gluten free diet.

happygirl Collaborator

I'd definitely get a new doctor, but that's just me :)

from another thread about pregnancy (but, this poster was dx'ed)

Open Original Shared Link

from the above story:

"I now felt encouraged to explore further. In August of 2000, I attended the 9th International Symposium on Celiac Disease in Baltimore, Maryland. The very first lecture solved my mystery. Not only is there a problem with fertility, repeated spontaneous abortions (yes, my miscarriages) and amenorrhea in untreated celiac disease patients, but celiac disease causes

Guhlia Rising Star

Definitely wait to try gluten again until you've had the baby AND are done breastfeeding. IF you have Celiac Disease, then you will be unable to absorb key nutrients if you're eating gluten. These nutrients are what feeds your baby and prevents him/her from having birth defects, low birth weight, etc... It really isn't worth the risk. These nutrients are also what you will be passing through your breastmilk if you breastfeed. Please be careful.

Ali Arizona Newbie

Thank you so much for all your quick responses!!!!! I will definetly stick to the gluten free diet for the rest of my pregnancy and BF and then will get tested by a new doctor. I do not want to take any chances. Thanks you agian soo much. Good luck to all of you!

Ali

• 4 weeks later...
loraleena Contributor

Stick to the diet, but the test will be innacurate because you are gluten free. I would suggest a stool test now from enterolabs. They can test even though you are gluten free. Do not consume gluten during your pregnancy or breastfeeding!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived