This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Purely Decadent Soy Ice Cream

majicbunnies

majicbunnies Contributor

Sometimes when I eat Purely Decadent Soy Ice Cream (pnut butter zig zag) I get a tummy ache. The carton states that they test for gluten (i think), or something about it not containing gluten. I just read a thread on here that contained a statement from an email saying some of their flavorings use grain alcohol. It was probably the vanilla flavoring that bothered me! I had a few bites of a P.D. Soy Delicious Vanilla Almond bar right before I read that..I wonder if I'll be getting sick from that today.. =(

Just a heads up to let everyone know that that certain flavor might not be completely gluten free..

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast
Sometimes when I eat Purely Decadent Soy Ice Cream (pnut butter zig zag) I get a tummy ache. The carton states that they test for gluten (i think), or something about it not containing gluten. I just read a thread on here that contained a statement from an email saying some of their flavorings use grain alcohol. It was probably the vanilla flavoring that bothered me! I had a few bites of a P.D. Soy Delicious Vanilla Almond bar right before I read that..I wonder if I'll be getting sick from that today.. =(

Just a heads up to let everyone know that that certain flavor might not be completely gluten free..

i had also heard that they use careegan (sp?) and that can cause gi problems in somepeople. When i ate it i chalked it up to that becasue all i got was GI symtoms, not the rest.

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

I ate Peanut Butter Zig Zag with no problems at all. I am sorry it makes you feel bad. I dont know why, it is supposedly gluten free. There was an exhibit at the conference with them there too, so I assumed its gluten free, the ingredients dont show anything..

I hope you feel better.

majicbunnies Contributor
I ate Peanut Butter Zig Zag with no problems at all. I am sorry it makes you feel bad. I dont know why, it is supposedly gluten free. There was an exhibit at the conference with them there too, so I assumed its gluten free, the ingredients dont show anything..

I hope you feel better.

Sometimes it bothers me, sometimes it doesn't. Maybe they use grain alcohol for the vanilla flavoring, and they don't realize it has gluten or they're not fully educated on it. ? I dunno, maybe I just get tummy aches for no reason =/

Thanks =)

majicbunnies Contributor
i had also heard that they use careegan (sp?) and that can cause gi problems in somepeople. When i ate it i chalked it up to that becasue all i got was GI symtoms, not the rest.

I don't remember seeing carageenan in that specific flavor, but I know that stuff gives me GI problems. Thanks for pointing that out!

• 2 years later...
Lauralai Newbie

I just had Purely Decadent Soy Ice Cream (peanut butter zig zag) and I'm suffering as well!! It does state clearly that it is dairy free, however it doesn't say gluten free. But they do say they test for gluten, but then don't follow up with a clear claim that it is Gluten free!! You'd think if they put all the effort into testing for gluten then they would put a gluten free label on it, but they don't so it probably isn't. I'm so uncomfortable right now I defintely won't be buying it again!

I've had this happen with the Rice Dreams ice cream as well, anyone else?

GFinDC Veteran

I just had Purely Decadent Soy Ice Cream (peanut butter zig zag) and I'm suffering as well!! It does state clearly that it is dairy free, however it doesn't say gluten free. But they do say they test for gluten, but then don't follow up with a clear claim that it is Gluten free!! You'd think if they put all the effort into testing for gluten then they would put a gluten free label on it, but they don't so it probably isn't. I'm so uncomfortable right now I defintely won't be buying it again!

I've had this happen with the Rice Dreams ice cream as well, anyone else?

I haven't ever tried Rice Dream ice cream. But Rice Dream milk made me sick, and it bothers some other people too. You can search the forum for Rice Dream and find plenty of posts about it being bad.

Soy is another possible culprit in the ice cream. Soy is one of the top eight allergens in the US and seems to affect some of us celiacs also. There is a brand of ice cream called So Delicious that is made with coconut milk that might work better. Another one I haven;t tried but others have posted that they like it. There is also Luigi's Italian Ice that is dairy free.

Anyhow, welcome to the forum! :-)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lorka150 Collaborator

It's gluten-free.

burdee Enthusiast

Rather than assuming some products, which proclaim they are gluten free, are not, consider whether you may have soy or vanilla allergies. Those are 2 of my delayed reaction (IgG and IgA) allergens. Of course the 'purists' may say those are 'intolerances', but whatever ... my ELISA test results told me to avoid 6 other foods besides gluten. When I abstain from those and gluten, I have no problems.

SUE

Nor-TX Enthusiast

The Purely Decadent Coconut Milk ice cream in the cookie dough flavor is the only ice cream I have been able to eat without any problems. Well, maybe only one problem... I can't stop eating it... It is the only flavor that is both gluten free and dairy free - it is Parve meaning it has absolutely no milk products in it. It is too yummy.

newgfcali Rookie

The Purely Decadent Coconut Milk ice cream in the cookie dough flavor is the only ice cream I have been able to eat without any problems. Well, maybe only one problem... I can't stop eating it... It is the only flavor that is both gluten free and dairy free - it is Parve meaning it has absolutely no milk products in it. It is too yummy.

Cookie dough? Oh, dear... I thought I'd have to give up my addiction to Ben & Jerry's chocolate chip cookie dough, which was putting POUNDS on me. Now you tell me there's one that's gluten-free/CF? Mmmmmmm.... I hope my local stores don't carry it!

lorka150 Collaborator

Many of them are both gluten-free and dairy-free, not just this flavour. Unless they changed it.

CandyLady Newbie

I haven't had any problem with any of the Purely Decadent soy or coconut milk flavors that I've tried. (Thank goodness, because they're so good!) All of their products are dairy-free and they have an allergen chart on their website that indicates which flavors contain gluten: http//turtlemountain.com/health/allergies.html It says the Peanut Butter Zig Zag flavor is gluten-free, so there might be something else in there that's causing a problem. They do say they test for the presence of allergens in all of their products, so I trust that there isn't any gluten in this particular flavor.

Reba32 Rookie

seriously? there's ice cream made from coconut milk? WHERE? :o:D

Archived