Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

covsooze

Dairy Intolerance - Calcium?

I hadn't been diagnosed when I was pregnant with DS and I craved dairy loads, despite usually not liking it. What I didn't know then was that I'm intolerant to dairy. I had a really yucky stomach for a lot of my pregnancy. I'm 8 weeks pregnant now, and gluten free and dairy very-lite. I'm very concious of the need for calcium whilst pregnant (I wonder if that's why I craved dairy with DS) and was wondering if there are any other pregnant dairy intolerant ladies out there and what you're doing? Is it OK just to rely on calcium supplements?

Susie from Coventry, UK

IBS & GERD 2000

Screened for coeliac disease as sister has it - negative blood test

Nov 2005 positive blood tests

January 2006 dx by biopsy

gluten-free and dairy lite since then

I am also neutropenic, anaemic and have hypothyroidism

Feb 08: free protein S deficiency; candida overgrowth; adrenal exhaustion

'My grace is enough; it's all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness.' 2 Corinthians 12

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I just used supplements.

Collard greens, kale are also good for calcium.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

supplements are fine for a lot of it. and the calcium requirements are ... misleading. it depends a lot on the ability of your body to use the calcium and the net calcium balance. are you eating foods that make your body acidic enough that your body has to use that calcium to maintain optimum pH for enzyme activity? do you have all the other minerals necessary for use for bone formation (for you and the budding one)? do you have the other signals necessary (like weight bearing)? it's far, far from just how much elemental calcium do you get.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA