Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kbdy

Going To Nutritionist

Our dd was dx'd w/Celiac & we are seeing the Nutritionist tomorrow.

What type of questions should we be asking? All this is very new to us & there is an overwhelming amount of info here! But that's good, I just need to find the time to get through it all!

What is most helpful when seeing a nutritionist?

TIA!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Well the best thing is to brainstorm and come up with questions. The main thing is figuring out what foods your daughter can/will eat and how to make sure she gets the nutrients that she needs. Make up a list of 20 of her favorite food and all of the foods that she won't touch. Also write down her typical meal plan so the nutritionist will get an idea of what to keep, what to modify, and what to overhaul. Finally, figure out how much of what she should be eating to gain/maintain/lose weight.

Good luck!

Ask her how many patients she sees with Celiac. Ask her what conferences she has attended to keep up on food labeling laws and Celiac. Ask where you can find good gluten free products in your area. Ask if she has any books or magazines she would recommend.

All of these would give me an idea of how much she truly knows about Celiac. There are many great nutritionists out there, but many of them have outdated and incorrect information on Celiac. So its important to know her level of experience with Celiac.

(Mine told me not to eat certain green veggies. Seriously. Turns out the whole time, she was talking to me about Crohn's. I kept correcting her...and I had know about Celiac for all of three weeks!)

kbdy: Welcome to the board. I'm happy you found this site. If you have questions, please feel free to post. This board has wonderfully experienced members! Best of luck.

Thank you for all of your advice. I hope that she knows what she's talking about, but I'm not certain yet.

When I called she asked why we needed a nutritionist for a 3yr old, I said b/c of Celiac. She said, "well, does she have diabetes?" Ummm, no. :rolleyes:

Sooo, we'll have to see. Right now I have HMO to thank for this referral b/c they wouldn't let me go to the one that our ped GI recommended :angry:

I'll take notes & report back so you all can help! I'm so happy to have found this forum!!

Karen

Ask her how many patients she sees with Celiac. Ask her what conferences she has attended to keep up on food labeling laws and Celiac. Ask where you can find good gluten free products in your area. Ask if she has any books or magazines she would recommend.

All of these would give me an idea of how much she truly knows about Celiac. There are many great nutritionists out there, but many of them have outdated and incorrect information on Celiac. So its important to know her level of experience with Celiac.

(Mine told me not to eat certain green veggies. Seriously. Turns out the whole time, she was talking to me about Crohn's. I kept correcting her...and I had know about Celiac for all of three weeks!)

kbdy: Welcome to the board. I'm happy you found this site. If you have questions, please feel free to post. This board has wonderfully experienced members! Best of luck.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

Chances are if you have lumps on your body for years and the Dr. isn't concerned they're probably not lymph nodes. Chronically swollen lymph nodes would be something every Dr. would be concerned with.  Chances are you just have cysts ...
    It's different  for everyone, it can be a month or maybe a year. Most probably within a few months. This is assuming the symptoms are in fact related to gluten, which they may not be. 
    Hi Laura I'm so pleased you found answers.  This is very encouraging.  Seven years on from my own diagnosis I wish I could have some vitamin and mineral screening, I'm sure I'm still deficient. Cristiana