Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GFinMN

Intestine "scalloped" - Anyone Else Told This After Endoscopy?

was anyone else told by their gastro doctor that their intestine was "scalloped" when they saw it with the camera during the endoscopy procedure? does that mean you have a worse case of celiac than most or does that happen with everyone who has celiac? what exactly does scalloped mean when referring to your intestine?

thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It means your intestines are being effected by the gluten. This was what they found on my DD endo also. At that time she was also told that her villi were only blunted at that stage and that she was in the earlier stages of Celiac. She was told to stay off of gluten.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Here's a site that has an explanation and also endoscopy pictures if you are curious about comparing normal to what it looks like when it is scalloped.

http://www.celiacdiseasecenter.columbia.ed...6-Endoscopy.htm

4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

I had scalloping turn up in my endoscopy too. In contrast to ravenwoodglass's daughter (is that what DD stands for?), I had complete villous atrophy, inflammation, and crypt hyperplasia in the biopsy. It definately indicates that there's damage to your small intestine. It's hard to define a 'worse' case of celiac, because even if your intestines are very damgaged, you might express fewer symptoms than someone who has less damage (and vice versa).

I think scalloping just refers to the appearance of the small intestine as affected by celiac. I had that.

Diagnosed 11-11-05 after 3 months of major symptoms, including 2 hospitalizations and 7 ER visits for dehydration and syncope. Otherwise, I had all "normal" blood tests and major scans. During those 3 months, lost 20 pounds, all my muscle tone, and ultimately could not walk for 2 days. Spent 6 days during the second hospitalization hooked up to IV and STILL passing out IN BED due to malnutrition with doctors staring at me AS IF it was all IN MY HEAD

Other related symptoms:

Osteopenia

Hypothyroidism

Gluten Ataxia - three "nodes" recently found in my brain (thought I had MS)

Muscle weakness

Fatigue

Chronic Constipation

45 pound weight gain since going gluten-free!

gluten-free since 11-11-05. Cannot eat bananas, potatoes, or spinach. Recently reintroduced yogurt into my diet and able to tolerate plain yogurt with sugar.

HATE the diet but psychologically tolerating it for my health.