Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GFinMN

Intestine "scalloped" - Anyone Else Told This After Endoscopy?

was anyone else told by their gastro doctor that their intestine was "scalloped" when they saw it with the camera during the endoscopy procedure? does that mean you have a worse case of celiac than most or does that happen with everyone who has celiac? what exactly does scalloped mean when referring to your intestine?

thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It means your intestines are being effected by the gluten. This was what they found on my DD endo also. At that time she was also told that her villi were only blunted at that stage and that she was in the earlier stages of Celiac. She was told to stay off of gluten.

I had scalloping turn up in my endoscopy too. In contrast to ravenwoodglass's daughter (is that what DD stands for?), I had complete villous atrophy, inflammation, and crypt hyperplasia in the biopsy. It definately indicates that there's damage to your small intestine. It's hard to define a 'worse' case of celiac, because even if your intestines are very damgaged, you might express fewer symptoms than someone who has less damage (and vice versa).

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

The biopsy would need to come from your small intestine. That's where the damage is done from celiac. But you need to be on a gluten diet for the tests to be accurate. How long have you been on the PPIs? My hubby had severe acid reflux issues ...
    The doctor did 8 biopsy from the top of my throat to the bottom of my stomach....he thought I had H-Hyploi..but I did not. I am beginning to think they are missing my issues. He gave me some pump inhibitors, that's it. I have an appt. with...
    Your doctor would run a blood tests (ask for full celiac panel) and then confirm with endoscopy and biopsy celiac doesn't always show up on endoscopy and sometimes the biopsy is what confirms.