This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Successful Royal Caribbean Cruise

amybeth

amybeth Enthusiast

We just returned from our honeymoon to Alaska on Royal Caribbean....7 night cruise!

Overall, I was able to eat and did not get sick - at all. I relied on the ship - didn't risk eating in port at any location.

The main dining room was very helpful, and we opted to eat there every night. They brought me gluten-free bread each evening - I didn't even have to ask. The only night they "slipped" was when we ate at the captain's table, and they gave me the gluten-free bread from a basket with wheat bread in it. No biggy, though. It was apparent that they wanted the service at that table to be more smooth and sophisticated, and it was only one night.

They always warned me when something I requested contained flour, although one night they did suggest a pasta appetizer.

Overall, I felt confident. I knew what I was and was not able to have and they did their best to help. They wouldn't let me eat the mashed potatos (instant) because they came from a facility off of the ship. (I assured them the flake kind would be ok, but they refused to give it to me - they were MORE cautious then I was!)

Lunch was a little more difficult b/c we tried to eat in the casual buffet, rather than the dining room. Mostly I had rice and veggies - and only became frustrated after watching my hubby have delicious meals off the buffet that I could not eat. BUT one day they have creme brulee in the buffet room, and I was VERY happy with that!

I did pack a lot of snacks (helped with the breakfast, lunch, and time off of the ship), but like I said I was really pleased and would sail with them again.

I do want to mention, though, that we made our reservation on-line through the RC site, and I indicated the special diet through the reservation. I called prior to the trip to verify that they had the information correct, and they had NO record that I had requested the special diet. YIKES! SO glad I called! On the phone they were helpful and modified the reservation, and all went smoothly. Definitely call!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Babygirl6915 Explorer

That is great to hear! I am going on RC to the Bahamas in September & have been very nervous as this will be my first trip since gluten-free. :( Thanks for the info!

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Amy--such a pretty wedding picture!!!! Congrats on being a newlywed. The countdown to my big day (Nov 3rd) just hit me seeing your picture, coming up quick.

Good to hear the cruise was nice. My fiance is dying to do an Alaskian cruise. :) Take Care!! :):)

NWLAX36Mom Rookie

Congratulations on your marriage. I am glad you had a successful gluten-free honeymoon.

We are sailing on Royal Caribbean on August 5. I am wondering what you ate for breakfast? Did you go to the Windjammer? Do you know if the burgers and fries in the Windjammer are gluten-free?

Any other helpful hints?

Thanks

Jackie

NWLAX36Mom Rookie

I'll probably keep thinking of lots of questions for you. They usually have yogurt at breakfast and maybe lunch. Do you know what brand it is or whether it is gluten-free? Tx

Did you take your own salad dressing or were they knowledgeable about which ones were gluten-free?

Jackie

amybeth Enthusiast

I was very careful at the buffet (Windjammer) and due to the language barrier had trouble finding some help.

The scrambled eggs were fine, but they DID but bread in the bottom of the buffet pans for bacon and sausage to absorb the grease.........There was yogurt and fruit, though. I brought a lot of breakfasty items with me, so I didn't try much.

I was VERY suspicious of the salad buffet, so I didn't even eat salad - although if I had been the first person in line, I probably would have gone ahead without worrying about cc.

I did not eat salad and therefore didn't even think about salad dressing. Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Archived