Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JessieFree

Can A Biopsy Be Wrong?

My biopsy was positive but all the blood tests and food allergy test were negative. I've been on and off the diet and saw no difference either way. I don't get sick every time I eat gluten. My family doctor says I don't have it because the food allergy was negative my GI says it's either celiac or IBS Could the biopsy be wrong?

A food allergy is not the same as celiac, so your family doctor is wrong. Many celiacs are not allergic to wheat, oats, barley or rye.

If you had a positive biopsy, you have celiac disease. All the tests can have false negatives, but they don't have false positives.

My biopsy was positive but all the blood tests and food allergy test were negative. I've been on and off the diet and saw no difference either way. I don't get sick every time I eat gluten. My family doctor says I don't have it because the food allergy was negative my GI says it's either celiac or IBS Could the biopsy be wrong?

Biopsy is considered the "Gold Standard" because if it's positive, you definitely have Celiac.

I'm a biopsy diagnosed Celiac and am not allergic to wheat. In fact I had no GI symptoms at the time of diagnosis. They thought I had colon cancer because I was so anemic (due to the damage to my small intestine). My sister is highly allergic to wheat and can not eat a sufficient amount for a Celiac reation to appear on a test. She'd be in ER before that happened.

You may find this article informative:

Why Do Celiacs Still Need Biopsy? By William Dickey, Ph.D., M.D., F.A.C.G.

http://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-03107250711.f5