Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

amberleigh

Did You See An Allergist?

I always thought I was lactose intolerant...and now with the celiac disease dx, I wonder if I really am or if it was the gluten that was bothering me all this time...or could it be both? I've been using Lactaid for years now, but still eat regular cheese, sour cream, ice cream, etc. Would an allergist be able to tell me? What about other things like soy, eggs, nuts, seafood, etc?

Also, I just read something about children "outgrowing" allergies. If my kiddos have celiac disease (we're having them tested next month) would they possibly outgrow it? Or is it for life?

Thanks!

Amber

Mom of twin girls Perry & Ella (11.5.05) and Luca (5.2.07)

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease 7.16.07

Gluten-free 7.17.07

Perry & Ella tested negative (blood test) 8/2007

Luca tested negative (blood test) 7/2009

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

A good allergist could be a help to you. I talked to mine twice after the enterolab positive results, and have done some elimination and challenges on foods just recently.

4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

Allergies can change (come and go) over time, but once a celiac always a celiac. It can not be outgrown.....gluten free is for life.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

My husband and I both saw a naturopath who uses the ELISA test to diagnose allergies to over 100 different foods. That blood test detects IgE and IgG reactions to food proteins. I also took Enterolab's soy, yeast and egg (IgA) stool test which diagnosed my soy allergy. There are other allergy tests, but I'd recommend either a blood or stool test to detect allergen antibodies. Skin and saliva tests are very unreliable. I'd suggest that you see a naturopath, rather than an allergist who often focuses on anaphylactic or environmental allergies, rather than delayed raction food allergies.

BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

I didn't bother seeing an allergist, because celiac disease and/or gluten intolerance are not allergies. They are autoimmune disorders. Many (but not all) people believe that celiac disease is simply what is likely to happen if you are gluten intolerant and continue to eat gluten.

Of course, if you have any reason to suspect that you might be allergic to something, you should either see an allergist or do an elimination diet and then challenge whatever it is you suspect. Or maybe both.