Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

amberleigh

celiac disease, Anemia, And Bone Issues?

I had a follow up with my GI doc yesterday (scopes and dx were just last week) and he is concerned about my anemia and calcium/vitamin absorption...and he's also sending me for a bone density test. He told me to take THREE iron pills each day (I'm currently taking one/day) and to add Viactiv calcium chews as well.

Is this pretty standard? What supplements do you take?

Oh and he also said I'm undernourished and need to gain weight. Hey buddy, I just had my 3rd kid and am trying to LOSE weight :lol:

I had a follow up with my GI doc yesterday (scopes and dx were just last week) and he is concerned about my anemia and calcium/vitamin absorption...and he's also sending me for a bone density test. He told me to take THREE iron pills each day (I'm currently taking one/day) and to add Viactiv calcium chews as well.

Oh and he also said I'm undernourished and need to gain weight. Hey buddy, I just had my 3rd kid and am trying to LOSE weight :lol:

I wish I could help you, I came looking for answers myself. My 18yr old was diagnosed with celiac 2mos ago, not they are saying her red blood count is "dangerously low" and have scheduled us with a hematologist. I am freaking out!

I was diagnosed with celiac 5 years ago and have stayed totally on the diet. I also can't eat dairy. I am 51, just started menopause, and I just found out I already have osteoporosis. I eat a pretty healthy diet (I love chocolate), I take calcium and other kinds of supplements, and I exercise regularly but I still have osteoporosis. I think it was all the years of poor absorption before I was diagnosed. I wish I'd been tested earlier. You are kind of young for it but the bone density test sounds like a good idea, at least as a baseline.

I also take B complex, C, D (to help with the calcium), and Omega 3 oils. My gastro doctor sent me to a dietician after I was diagnosed; it was very helpful.