This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Portillos Italian Beef

Mally-bug

Mally-bug Apprentice

Does anyone out there know if Portillo's Italian beef (not the bread of course...), but just the beef and the au jus is gluten free. I ate some tonight and I am not feeling too good. I looked on the packages and the meat package had no listing and the gravy package was not readable (I was a guest at someone's house who was serving this so I didn't want to rummage through the garbage...)

Portillo's is a Chicago restaurant (and suburbs)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hlm34 Apprentice

when a friend had their superbowl party catered by portillos, i called about the italian beef and was told it was gluten-free. I made sure though, that i got a big plate of it before everyone else got to it and used the tongs to put it on a roll, and then dip the tongs back in the beef. I didnt want it to get contaminated.

I had no problems and it was sooo good.

• 2 weeks later...
alamaz Collaborator

oooohhhhh yum! really? italian beef from portillo's sounds sooooo good right now.....

pnltbox27 Contributor

no problems here either. i have it for lunch often. i order the "naked combo" it is soooo good. also i went to buena beef today and had the same thing they even had it listed on the menu as the naked combo, i thought that was pretty cool

alamaz Collaborator

can you describe what is in a naked combo and how it's ordered? my husband will pass out when i tell him he can go to portillo's and order something! same with buena beef. he's getting a little tired of chipolte :lol:

pnltbox27 Contributor

at Buena Beef the naked combo is a beef and sausage combo, they put it in a plastic salad type bowl with italian beef smothered in mozz cheese and peppers and then they cut the italian sausage into little slices , all of this is swimming in beef juice. i got this at the original store in Oak Park im not sure if the others list it on the menu, but it is really good. at portillos they just give you a sausage in a hot dog wrapper and the beef minus the mozz cheese , unless you request it in a cup, not as good as BUENA ,but still a good option

• 11 years later...
Brianne Olson Newbie

I know this is a super old thread, but I believe it contains some incomplete information.

Portillo’s publishes it’s allergen information online.

Open Original Shared Link

The Italian Beef contains “other gluten” & “soy” which leads me to believe there is soy sauce in the au jus. Soy sauce is often made of fermented wheat. I suppose a reaction might depend on your level of sensitivity.

I hope this helps!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived