Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

houseofboys

Food Storage Containers

I am just now getting around to cleaning out my "poison" flour Tupperware canisters. Would I be able to wash them in the dishwasher and reuse them for gluten free flour mixes? Is it possible that gluten molecules somehow could have embedded themselves in or permeated the plastic and therefore rendered them useless for food storage? They're relatively new (2-5 yrs old) but I'd hate to risk my family's health.

Thank you in advance for any help on this matter.

Hi there!

When I "de-glutened" my kitchen, I threw away plastics and woods. I kept my aluminum pots and pans but replaced teflon coated ones. I also replaced my colander.

I can't say for sure that plastic harbors gluten, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I'm sure someone who knows with more certainty will chime in.

I think you're safe with uncoated metals and glass.

I'd rather be safe than sorry. That's practically our motto. :P It seems possible than your tupperware could be scratched and gluten could be trapped there. Maybe gluten is also in the corners?

I guess I'm the cheapo here!!!! I washed & cloroxed all my better plastics then I put them in scalding water bath .. I did this several times & I haven't had a problem... I still use my plastic tupperware measuring cups & spoons.......but i cleaned then by the above method....

mamaw

I guess I'm the cheapo here!!!! I washed & cloroxed all my better plastics then I put them in scalding water bath .. I did this several times & I haven't had a problem... I still use my plastic tupperware measuring cups & spoons.......but i cleaned then by the above method....

mamaw

Well mamaw, You are not the only cheapo! ;) I did the same thing with many of my better plastics, some I threw out (the ones with cracks or grooves in them), and the others I simply bleached and scalded clean. Of course, we are on a very limited budget, so I did the best I could...maybe I should have thrown all of them out. :huh:

-Julie

Me too! . . . I'm cheap!

HA! :lol: We need to keep that quote in context...

My mother always told me, "we're not cheap, we're thrifty." B)

Well, it looks like several of us are "thrifty" ;)

Janet, by the way, I love your quote by Mother Teresa! B)

Blessings. -Julie