This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

First Gluten Free Trip

~alex~

~alex~ Explorer

My fiance and I recently got invited to go see some friends about 2 hours away from where we live. I'm nervous about going but I really want to and I don't want to let Celiac get in the way of doing what I want to do. I've been feeling quite good lately (almost normal :) ) so I feel like I'm ready. Here is what I have considered to try and make sure things go smoothly:

• Our hotel room will have a kitchen
  • We're bringing some pots, pans, plates, cutlery, etc.
  • I'll bring extra diabetes supplies
  • Imodium and Pepto Bismol (just in case)
  • We're bringing some food and will stop at a grocery store when there

Is there any other preparation that I might be missing? I'm so worried we'll get there and think 'how could have we forgot about that'! So if anyone has any suggestions about things they forgot to think about when they went on their first gluten-free trip that would be great. I'm so nervous but excited.

Thank you

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Emily Elizabeth Enthusiast

Alex,

It sounds like you have everything covered. My first trip, I didn't get a hotel room with a kitchen and I have to admit it was a bit difficult. I brought pre-made frozen dinners with me, and had a refrigerator in my room, but had to go to the restaurant to get them microwaved. Anyway, I was way more nervous then I needed to be though. Everything went well in the end. Good luck and have a good time!

Emily

My fiance and I recently got invited to go see some friends about 2 hours away from where we live. I'm nervous about going but I really want to and I don't want to let Celiac get in the way of doing what I want to do. I've been feeling quite good lately (almost normal :) ) so I feel like I'm ready. Here is what I have considered to try and make sure things go smoothly:

Is there any other preparation that I might be missing? I'm sorry worried we'll get there and think 'how could have we forgot about that'! So if anyone has any suggestions about things they forgot to think about when they went on their first gluten-free trip that would be great. I'm so nervous but excited.

Thank you

canary46 Newbie

Is there any other preparation that I might be missing? I'm so worried we'll get there and think 'how could have we forgot about that'! So if anyone has any suggestions about things they forgot to think about when they went on their first gluten-free trip that would be great. I'm so nervous but excited.

Thank you

There are lots of travel ideas for celiacs on the web. Here are a few:

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link (I think this person deserves donations! His language cards are great!)

tom Contributor

Oh yeah u got it covered.

Did u check your tire pressure? :)

The hotel room w/ kitchen is the way to go.

I should find that bkmrk for the site that lists kitchenette hotels cross-country.

Sometimes they try to pass off a microwave & coffeemaker as a 'kitchen', but not that much.

Great site for us. B)

~alex~ Explorer

Thanks for those websites guys. We're leaving tomorrow so it's good to do some last minute reading to assure myself that we're prepared. I've tried to think of everything so I'm feeling pretty confident that things will go smoothly. We're only going for a weekend and I think I've packed more stuff than when we went to live in a different city for 6 weeks! If I've forgotten anything or make any mistakes at least I'll have some advice to pass on of what not to do.

Lisa Mentor

Have a wonderful time Alex and Ryan. Ya got it covered babe! ;)

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

You sounds like you have everything you need. Have a safe and enjoyable trip :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

~alex~ Explorer

Our trip went really well. The kitchen in our hotel was great and we were able to make gluten free meals just like at home. My blood sugar was a little erratic due to my schedule being off but nothing serious. The prospect of going on a honeymoon doesn

Archived